Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New FREE book: "Logic Pro X - 10.1 New Features"

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by EdgarRothermich, Feb 7, 2015.

1. EdgarRothermich

EdgarRothermich Senior member

I just released my new book "Logic Pro X - 10.1 New Features" as a free pdf download and free interactive multi-touch iBook on Apple's iBooks Store.

[​IMG]

In this book, I list all the new features and changes of the new Logic version and gave them the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals" treatment. That means I explain how the new stuff works with graphics and diagrams. In addition, there are lots of new hidden features and changes that are not even mentioned in the official Release Notes.

The free download links for the book are available on my website http://www.DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

Enjoy the book

3. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

Very nice work Edgar!
    +1

4. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

As usual, great work Edgar.

5. Colin Shapiro

Colin Shapiro Senior member

Thanks Edgar - very generous.
    Great work as always...

6. michaelo

michaelo LUG Emeritus

Hey Edgar, thanks for the great new features pdf. Great work and very informative indeed. I'll be recommending your manuals!

7. jonperl

jonperl Member

Thank you Edgar. Can I ask how you got some of the information; the documentation from apple is spotty. Online help only for new features, but that is not complete and also difficult to search.

8. LMPaule

LMPaule Senior member

Edgar,

Let me add my thanks as well. I read How It Works, and this is a great addition.

Larry

9. EdgarRothermich

EdgarRothermich Senior member

These were my sources:
    • I went through the original Release Notes and tried all the new stuff to see how it works (and discoverd a few things along the way that weren't mentioned).
    • I put the new Logic 10.1 version on my office machine and the 10.07 version on my laptop and pretty much compared every settings and menu to see the differences (and discovered a few things along the way that weren't mentioned).
    • I had taps of all the Logic forums on my web browser and monitored all the discussion where other people discovered more hidden features and functionalities (crowd sourcing).
    • I only had access to the updated Help documentation the very end, and as you pointed out, it was not much of a "help" anyways. Just search for the "Region Automation" and you pretty only says "now you have Region Automation and here are two check boxes in the Project Settings.

I added some new discoveries literally a day before I release the book (one advantage of being self-published)
    There are a few more new discoveries since then.

Popovers:
    I pointed out the different behaviors of various settings windows (for example: Control Bar Configuration Window), Toolbar Configuration Window, Global Track Configuration Window). These windows are called "Popover", which have no OK Button anymore. You have to click outside the window to close them. That can a problem, depending on what window segment is "outside"

Symmetrical Automation Ramps
    This is a really cool feature fore manually editing Automation Curves. Try this:
    _ Select two adjacent Control Points (Sh+click on a Automation Curve between the two ControlPoints or lasoo around to ControlPoints
    _ There must be at least one ControlPoint on the left and on the right of the selected ControlPoint (these Control Points should not be selected, they work as the "hinges")
    _ Now sh+opt+drag the selected segment of the Automation Curve up-down to move the line segment up/down - AND HERE IS THE NEW FEATURE, sh+opt+drag left-right to create symmetrical ramps

This is especially useful when you created 4 Automation Points with the Marquee Tool or by creating 4 Control Points by sh+dragging an area first.
    You have to play around with it a little bit to get the hang of it.

One More Thing:
    If anybody wants to show their appreciation for the free book, they can post a review for my Logic books (or any other of my GEM you might own) on the Amazon of the iBooks Store.

I appreciate it - thanks

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...iveASIN=1492128988&linkCode=as2&tag=dinmus-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...ode=as2&tag=dinmus-20&linkId=A45IRDZBDQ5HKCAY

10. jonperl

jonperl Member

I'll definitely post a review. The Symmetrical ramps are a really nice touch, and I'm also not loving popovers yet. If you get a chance to check out my question I submitted as another topic today ("SMPTE lock automation situation no better") let me know what you think. I would have thought that in 10.1, if one used the new region automation option, that automation would smpte lock when the region was locked, even for audio regions, but that is still not working.

11. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

This is an amazing piece of work, and a lot of work. Thanks for putting it out there. I hope your series on X does well.

12. anp27

anp27 Member

Thanks Edgar! I found the chapter on Working with Movies particularly informative. :)