Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X New here and question! (workflow

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by skyhighrocks, Mar 3, 2016.

1. skyhighrocks

skyhighrocks New Member

Hi all

Just bought Logic Pro X this morning after coming from Reaper. I'm excited to start using it!

I do have a question though...and I'm hoping what I'm asking can be accomplished some way with Logic.

Here are a couple of youtube videos where composers are using different daws...but what I'm trying to find out is if I can do this with Logic...see how they have access to all of their virtual (Midi) instruments in a list? And they can basically just click on one, it's already pulled up and away they go? Does anyone know how this can be done??

Any feedback would be great!
  3. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

You are very welcome and hopefully we can help you. From your description of what you want I'd answer "yes".

However can you link to the part of the videos you mean, so we don't have to listen through to all the other stuff of a very long video, so we can give a better answer based on what exactly you mean.
  4. skyhighrocks

skyhighrocks New Member

Thank you!

Actually there is no particular part in the videos as what I'm referring to is on their screens the whole time. On the left of their daws, you can see a long list of plugins that they have access too with small record buttons next to each instrument. They are on a midi roll and able to just add parts on the fly.
  5. Pete Thomas

Are you sure they didn't take a lot of time to load those tracks and instruments/settings in advance of the video? It looks to me like what is on the left is a tracklist, not a list of plugins. I don't know DP enough to comment further, apart from saying that if youm expect Logic to open out of the box with a huge list of tracks already armed with instruments that suit your personal needs for a certain project, then I think it's not going to happen - nor do i think those videos are based on "out of the box" instruments and templates.
  6. skyhighrocks

skyhighrocks New Member

I thought about that if in fact that is the case, how would one set up a track list like that? It looks to be all done in the midi roll. I'm coming from Reaper so I was unable to set it up that the normal recording window, yes, but when opening the midi roll, the tracks didn't show.
  7. Pete Thomas

What is a midi roll?
  8. Pete Thomas

Hang on though, I just saw you bought Logic this morning. You couldn't really have yet had time to read the manual.
  9. skyhighrocks

skyhighrocks New Member

Sorry if I'm not using the correct reaper, the midi roll is where you can see all the midi notes that have been played and be able to edit, quantize, move, change velocity, etc...
  10. skyhighrocks

skyhighrocks New Member

No, not yet but I'm not sure that what I'm looking to do is in the manual as any daw manual I've read, I haven't found the answer. I'm also not good at reading and then doing/understanding...I'm more of a hands on/visual person. I've actually posted the question on those videos to the video owners but never received a reply.

I understand how most daws work...this seems to be a certain way of doing something that I'd never tried or seen before.
  11. LogicChallenged

LogicChallenged New Member

Re: Midi Roll: In LPX, that's the scroll editor. Play your notes into the track region, and double click the region. It will open below with all the notes.
    You can move, lengthen, change velocities, ......everything. Get familiar with the two tool box drop-downs, The rh one is accessed by holding down command. Lots of editing possibilities.
  12. skyhighrocks

skyhighrocks New Member

Yes, I do know how to access and use it, just didn't know the name. I guess my question has been...can the logic window be set up like in the videos...where you can stay in the script editor, with the track list available right there and be able to record from there and not have to go back to the main tracking "window" where you see the wav files, etc. The 2 videos show exactly what I'm talking about all the way through.
  13. LogicChallenged

LogicChallenged New Member

I'm not sure, and also not sure the reason why you would want to do this.
    I think all recording has to be done in the track window.
    Then you can access all your patches in the library view (or the top dropdown in the mixer view channel strips).
    ...and audition sounds, even as the trak is playing. (w/ midi , not audio)
    It works, and you look at it, edit, etc in the scroll editor.
  14. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

In some DAWs you can record from any of the edit screens. So in DP for example, you can record while in the piano roll editor if you want to, or the tracks window or the sequence editor. But otherwise, the setup and time taken to get things working is pretty much the same with any DAW, and depend on time to load plugins and samples from disks.

Using both Logic and DP regularly, I can't say that being able to record from any editor is a big deal. It's nice to be able to re-record a few notes while editing MIDI, but it's pretty simple to switch to the correct window in Logic.

In general, when learning a new DAW, I don't think it's a good idea to try to stick to the work flow you learn in one and try to stretch it onto another. You miss the point of having the new DAW, and miss its strengths.
    Pete Thomas likes this.
  15. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

See the attached file below.
    1. Create an Empty MIDI Region on the track. (Control-click within the empty track space)
    2. Open the Piano Roll. Now as you record, you'll see MIDI notes populating the piano roll.
    3. To see all of your instruments available in the tracks list, you have a create and save a template. The question you have to ask your self is which instruments do you really need for given project. If you do in fact need them all, then create a template with all inserted. If you're creating a series of string quartet pieces, load those four instrument, and save as a template. The more instruments in your template, the longer it takes for the project file to open, and the greater demands on your available CPU power and RAM.
    4. If you want quick access to non-Logic instruments, save them as a patch.
    5. Saved patches will appear in the User Patches area. I saved empty preset patches as seen in the image. You can save specific presets within an instrument so they will be available in the Library.

My suggestion is that you obtain this video tutorial as a starting point:

Attached Files: