Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by bayswater, Jun 15, 2013.

1. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

I wandered by LUG to see what the reaction is here to the new Mac Pro announcement from a lot of people that Apple presumably had in mind when they designed it. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I don't see any mention of it at all. Was this a non event for Luggers?

3. willnubu

willnubu Senior member

I'm still stunned at how there isn't any new Logic program.

4. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

I'd expect that closer to the release of the mac pro. The priority must have been IOS 7 and 10.9.

5. yore

yore Member

If you want to se heated discussion about Mac Pro. Just go to Gearslutz :)
    There's an epic discussion of it, well over 1000 responds :)

I was glad to see a new Mac Pro. However, I'm afraid is going to be expensive beyond believe ! or then Apple will do something really magical.

If every model has the AMD dual GPU (price of a single GPU seems to be over 2000 dollars ! and there's 2 of them), Xeon CPU (I've seen quotes of 1800 dollars and up) and add SSD, surely 512 MB at least adding 800 dollars ? or more. If Apple gets even the lowest Mac Pro under 4 K out, I will have to pick my jaws up from the ground :)

Then there is the question about all that graphical and expensive power which will go mostly wasted on us audio guys...unless of course the next version of Logic will somehow be able to use it ?

All in all, looking at this with a lot of interest but trying to not to raise my hope up too high. I think I'm due a new computer sometime in the summer of 2014 but will have to wait and see. Maybe it's time to go mini Mac... or could it be that there is an all new Mac coming out in the fall ? I'd love a cross of iMac and Mac Pro :)

6. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

It will indeed be interesting to see how the new Mac is priced. Looking at it from the point of view of those of us who rely on PCIe cards, additional money will have to be budgeted for an appropriate external case - that can be 800 - 1100 Euros. Add to that some external cases for HDs/SSDs - if they are to be the quality we know and love in the old mac pros, it is easy to spend a few hundred on these as well. Add a superdrive (there are of course less expensive alternatives) and some spurious bits and pieces such as TB-FW cables and it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that an extra 1500 Euros would have to be found to give the new Mac the connectivity the old one provided. The graphic power does seem to indicate that Apple were first and foremost thinking of the video community when they designed this.

Actually, now that it is clear that Apple have abandoned PCIe, internal HD expansion etc, to me the Mac Mini has gotten more interesting. The benchmarks for the current 2.6 GHz i7 show it to be faster than some of the older 8 core Mac Pros.

kind regards

Mark

7. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

You can get a heated discussion on white bread at GS. I like forums with a higher S/N ratio.

I figured this forum would be quite vocal on the topic given that (I think) Logic is now the only DAW that will not run on Windows. But I guess the other shoe (Logic X) has to drop before that happens. In that vein, the possibility of using those GPUs for plugins and VIs must have occurred to the Logic developers.

8. mt100uk

mt100uk Senior member

I'm really interested, I *hope* they keep a similar pricing scheme as the current mac pros (it's what they've done in the past but who knows!) I can see how it's a bummer for PCIe advocates but I, like many others, have started moving external for audio I/O so it looks like a good fit.

9. The next Mac mini is what I'm dying to see right now. The new Mac Pro has set an extremely high ceiling, giving room for the mini to power up. And the new Intel Haswell chipset has some very interesting options, including a hex-Core i7 and three different levels of that Intel 5000 HD (Iris) GPU, one with its own dedicated VRAM. Fingers crossed! That new Haswell MBA happened a lot sooner than I expected.

10. daveyboy

daveyboy Senior member

I've been window shopping in terms of thinking about what I might do to prepare to upgrade to one of the new Mac Pros. I run the Apogee Symphony system and a UAD2 card. I was thinking I could get the new UAD Apollo 16 which would replace both of them and would run on thunderbolt. I would then just get a dual thunderbolt drive by Lacie and use those drives for my samples and audio. I'll probably keep my current Mac Pro just so I can access my old backup software (Retrospect) and be able to still retrieve old client backups that still can potentially generate income. Or, I'll get the last generation of 12 core machine. Since my "old" 8 core is still enough machine I think I'd rather do a huge upgrade at some point and just move forward with the latest and greatest that's available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk