Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 New patent for Apple points at polyphonic note detection

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Colin Shapiro, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Colin Shapiro

Colin Shapiro Senior member

Apparently Apple has been granted a patent regarding polyphonic note detection, previously the sole domain of Celemony's Melodyne:

The diagram looks a lot like Logic - maybe we can expect some big changes in a future update.
  3. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

We may very well see all sorts of cool updates one day in Logic Pro X. However, that is actually the GarageBand screen—and that technology reads like the "Learn To Play Guitar" note identification mechanism in GB for years now.

Sometimes, it just takes a while for the patent to be granted.

4. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

I wonder what is different about the Apple method VS the Celemony method, since I'm pretty darn sure Celemony would already have they way patented. Or are we going to be in the middle of another Apple VS (name company here, Samsung being the one I know about) fight over technology?
  5. Atlas

Atlas Senior member

Really? Never seen channelstrips laid out that way (to the left of the tracks) in GarageBand!
  6. Orren Merton

The track names, icons, buttons, etc. are absolutely to the left of the audio waveforms in GarageBand.

7. Orren Merton

Considering both Cubase and Digital Performer have in-DAW pitch detection (as does Autotune), I'm sure that all of these algorithms are different enough that they can get away with it.

I would be completely shocked if there were any lawsuits over this.

8. Atlas

Atlas Senior member

Yes but the two channelstrips (with vertical faders and plugin slots and sends) to the left of the tracks are found only in Logic, unless I am missing something in GarageBand v.6.05 (in which case I would greatly appreciate a hard proof, such as a picture, and a way to make it show on my MBP)...:D
  9. Colin Shapiro

Colin Shapiro Senior member

I'm with Atlas - definitely Logic and NOT Garageband.
    The Transport is 100% Logic, as are the Track icons and layout. The Channelstrips are undeniably Logic, with all the slots for Inserts, Sends & I/O.

Whatever....we'll most likely wait a long time before we see this new patent implemented anyway.
  10. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Leaving aside the picture in that Apple Insider article, I think Orren is correct in commenting that the technology involved is already being used in Garage Band's Learn To Play Guitar function.

As to how it might be implemented in a future version of Logic, of course we will just have to wait and see.

kind regards

11. Orren Merton

Shows you what I know—I completely missed the channel strips to the left of the track headers.

Doesn't change my comment about this being utilized in GarageBand however.

Atlas: Its not always obvious if someone is trying to be amusing or a bully on the internet so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant your quip light heatedly. But as a general rule:

1) if in a thread about speculation you demand "hard evidence" you end up coming off as boorish, not witty or knowledgeable.

2) anyone who insists that they have "hard evidence" is lying, because Apple has a wall of secrecy around it that not even CIA Directors have. I'm sure that none of the programmers and other individuals inside would ever break their employment contracts/NDA/whatever just to satisfy the curiosity of someone on a public message board. However, people can read between the lines, interpolate text, have an idea how various functions operate, add to that how long the US Patent Application system takes to grant a patent (ever wonder why the classic Humbucker guitar pickup is called the PAF—Patent Applied For? Because it took so long to grant!) and make extremely educated guesses.

Other than that, as Mark said, we wait and see.

12. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Side-stepping any speculation about the new patent and it's intended use, the illustration in the link gives a strong impression of being Logic.

My eyes were immediately drawn to the dual channels strips on the left side, a design that is unique to Logic. Other features including the Transport and Master output slider on the lower far right added to that impression.

Just sayin'...