Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New user trying to interface with older hardware

Discussion in 'Studio Techniques' started by nrand, Mar 23, 2011.

1. nrand

nrand New Member

What I have
    Apple 10.6.6
    Logic 9.1.3
    Roland VS-1880
    Korg X55
    Novation Zero SL MkII
    Tascam US 144

I had it in my mind that I could use the Roland VS-1880 as an external digital mixer, pre the Tascam interface.

is there any point in / or any way to integtrate the functions of the Roland via MIDI?

I am also having trouble convincing the Tascam to read the digital input from the Roland.

Can someone set me on the right path?

Thanks

3. 490440

490440 New Member

I wish I could help you with that. I own a roand studio package pro that I would love to use as a control surface, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen.

4. Maj G

Maj G New Member

Roland VS-1880
    The 1880 is an 18 track DAW with a built in 28 channel, fully automated digital mixer, optional effects processor, and CD burner. It can play back 18 tracks simultaneously and record up to 8 tracks at once. In total, counting virtual tracks, the 1880 can record using 288 tracks. It also has a function for mastering.

US-144 SPECIFICATIONS
    •2 XLR mic inputs with phantom power
    •S/PDIF Digital Input & Output
    •4 in, 4 out operation (analog, S/PDIF)
    •2 analog line inputs (1 switchable to high impedance for use with guitars, basses, etc.)
    •1 MIDI input, 1 MIDI output
    •USB 2.0 equipped (also supports USB 1.1)
    •Up to 96kHz/24-bit for high quality recordings
    •Zero-latency hardware monitoring
    •Separate headphone output & level controls
    •Bus powered for use with any PC or Mac, including laptops

I don't know if Logic would recognize it as an interface, but if it did, you should be able to use MIDI automation. I think it might be better just to sell the Roland and use the money to buy a different audio interface (such as a Focusrite) and use Logic the way it was intended.

Maj G