Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Newbie Questions! Please help!!

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Bigdawgbigal, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Bigdawgbigal

Bigdawgbigal New Member

I have used Logic on and off fro a few years at the different studios I have worked at.

I am currently working on a project that is mostly based on Logic.

I normally use Protools, Cubase and Ableton.
    Forgive me if these seem like dumb questions, but I was hoping that some of the experienced Logic users on this forum could give me some advice, instead of me having to trawl through the manual!

Ok, so first off, the blocks of audio (regions).
    Why is it that when I cut and then move a region on top of a part of an exisiting region, and then click on the existing region, it appears on top of the one I just moved!
    This is very confusing for me, as in all the other DAW's that I use, if I move a region partly on top of another then that is what will be there, not the one underneath!

Is there a preference in Logic to make it behave in this way?

Also, the system I am currently using takes an age to boot up.
    I read online that this might be caused by Logic having to load EXS samples.
    If this is correct, is there an easy fix for this?

Thanks in advance! :thmbup:
  3. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

The region you click will go on top. But it actually makes no difference. The region which starts second will play instead of the first region as soon as the playhead gets to that region, ie region 1 stops playing and region 2 starts.

This is a good thing IMO.

I try to avoid regions overlapping of or partially overlapping other regions for the sake of clarity.

If a region is overlapping, I would trim the first region to the start of the second (there is a menu or key command for that, I'm not at Logic right now so I can't say exactly what it is. Often a (very short) crossfade will sort any noise glitches due to wave forms starting/stopping at non-zero crossings.

(NB, welcome to the forum, I moved your second post in this thread to its own thread/topic: one question per thread is best)
  4. Bigdawgbigal

Bigdawgbigal New Member

Hey Pete

Thanks for your reply. It has eased my worries now knowing that Logic will only play the file that comes after, regardless of the overlap.
    I personally can't see how as this could be of benefit, it only confuses me, but then I am used to using other DAWS where this never occurs, hence my concern.
    To have to cut the region that I am moving another onto, seems like a bit of a b*llache to me, it will create even more work which I would like to avoid, although I did that today when editing, to give myself peace of mind that I was going to hear what I had moved rather than something else.

5. Pete Thomas

You don't have to cut the second region, you can leave it as it is.

The "trim to next region" I referred to is not cutting the region, it just shortens it so it stops at exactly the start of the next, and once you know the key command it takes no time at all, but it does keep everything nice and orderly, no overlapped regions which IMO is not good.

Also, when an audio region suddenly stops and another starts, unless you are editing to wavefrom zero crossings, there is often a glitch in sound. This is why I recommend a short crossfade anyway.
  6. Bigdawgbigal

Bigdawgbigal New Member

Thanks for that.
    Be great if you could let me know the shortcut for this.

Oh and I'm glad you bought up the potential nightmare that is 'zero crossings'.
    Is there an option for auto-cross fade?
    I am used to editing audio in Ableton and Protools where there is an option for this.

7. Pete Thomas

I don't wish to be rude, but i suspect it's time to delve into the basics in the manual.

We can be very helpful and understanding to new Logic users here, but we do expect everyone to read the manual.

Alternatively, sniff around the menus (e.g. audio menu), all the shortcuts are listed against the menu operation. If there isn't a default shortcut, just open key commands (cmd K) , find the menu operation, and add your own.
  8. Bigdawgbigal

Bigdawgbigal New Member

Ok cool, something that I wished to avoid, hence my posts.
    But hey, guess its the only way!

9. Pete Thomas

Yes, you can't expect to learn an application like Logic without reading the manual, and the forum rules which you agree to actually ask you to do that before posting questions that are answered easily in the manual: