1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no expression on third party samples

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by tonyk720, Dec 31, 2014.

1. tonyk720

tonyk720 New Member

It seems as tho the expression slider from my keyboard only works with my LPX instruments and East/West samples. Reason, Arturia, and Korg libraries are not recognizing the expression data even tho I can see it in my piano roll editor.

I've read the help section and found no "cure." I was under the impression that expression is just a form of volume control that would be addressed at the LPX level and not in the sample libraries or patches of third party instruments?

Please advise and thanx in advance. It must be something simple I missed in the help section.

iMac i7 32gigs LPX 10.0.7 many plug-in libraries
  3. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

Something like that...
    Expression controls the modulation amount of the Amp/Volume. For example in Kontakt you add a Modulator to the Amp Volume to control it via CC11.
    Some third party developers do not add such Modulators, so you have to customize the instrument by yourself or use some workaround.
    You can use an Environment Transformer (patched before the Sequencer) or MIDI FX Transformer (inserted into the Channel Strip) to transform CC11 into CC7. Logic 10.0.7 allows you to pass thru CC7 & 10 in the MIDI Settings so it is good idea to enable this option to keep the Channel Level fader from CC7 direct control.
  4. tonyk720

tonyk720 New Member

Ivan, thanx for the quick reply.

I have never used the environment window and I started using Logic from C-Lab Creator in 1990 thru LPX. It seemed way too technical and I was too busy composing for a living.
    Could you just please walk me through the "path" to enable the option you are referring to. Try as I might, I cannot find the "path" on my own.

Thank you and have a great new year. Tony
  5. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

Hi Tony,

Well I'll show you two scenarios using Environment Transformer (Pre-Sequencer destructive) and using MIDI FX Modifier plugin (Post-Sequencer non-destructive).

Scenario 1 (CC11 to CC7 via Enviro Transformer)

1. Patch a Transformer object between the Physical Input and the Sequencer object in the Clikcs & Ports Environment layer as shown in Fig.1.
    2. Double click the Transformer object to open its editor and make the settings as shown in the image.
    3. All CC11 events will be recorded as CC7 events!

Scenario 2 (CC11 to CC7 via MIDI FX Modifier)

1. Insert a Logic factory MIDI FX Modifier plugin into the Channel Strip of the Instrument you want to control via CC11.
    2. Set the Parameter Settings as shown in Fig.2.
    3. All incoming Expression events will be recorded as CC11 but those events will be transformed into CC7 (Volume) on the fly.

NOTE: DO NOT MISS to go to the Project MIDI Settings and allow MIDI CC 7 (volume) and MIDI CC 10 (pan) messages to control the instrument plug-in instead of the channel strip (in both cases)!

6. tonyk720

tonyk720 New Member

Ivan, thank you for the "fix." I'll be using the second recommendation, the MIDI FX approach. Works perfectly. Have another great year. Ciao Tony