Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Tony Mergel, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Tony Mergel

Tony Mergel New Member

Is it possible to normalize a software instrument track? I use the score to copy sections from one instrument to another, sometime creating duplicates. I usually normalize the track with duplicates and erase the duplicates. Using "normalize" on a software instrument track does not produce the same MIDI channel for the track and makes any erasing impossible. Any hints? Thanks, Tony
  3. EdgarRothermich

EdgarRothermich Senior member

Normalizing usually means settings the peak level of an Audio File to 0dBFS.

Only an Audio Track contains Audio Regions (that represent an Audio File).
    A MIDI Track (Software Instrument Track) on the other hand contains MIDI Regions. The content of a MIDI Region is MIDI data, that can't be "normalized
    unless you use "bounce in place" which bounces the MIDI Region to an Audio Region (Audio File).
  4. Eli

Eli Senior member

"Normalizing" wrt MIDI regions is a process of making the region playback parameters permanent. It should make any difference if that MIDI region is playing back on a software instrument track or another kind of MIDI track. It's a region based process, not track based.

I'm not sure I completely understand the problem you are having. What isn't happening when you select the MIDI regions in question and normalize them using the following functions?

PS: I just noticed that as of LP X, Logic no longer uses the term "normalize" for these functions.

Attached Files:

5. Tony Mergel

Tony Mergel New Member

Thanks for you responses! When I "normalize" a MIDI track, all events assume the same MIDI channel. When I try the same thing on a software instrument track, the MIDI channel is not normalized. I realize they are both region based, but still can't figure out why all the notes in the track would not assume the same MIDI channel when "normalized".
  6. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hi Tony,

Just did a quick test here and you're right. It doesn't seem to channelize the MIDI channel information set in the Channel Strip Parameters like it is supposed to. Looks like a bug to me. I'd suggest sending a bug report via the "provide Logic-Pro feedback" menu item under the Logic Pro X menu at the upper left.
  7. Tony Mergel

Tony Mergel New Member

8. Atlas

Atlas Senior member

I think that is normal that the different MIDI channels of the events (notes) in a region retain their original MIDI channel once "normalized", as this complies to Format 0 of standard MIDI files; considering the primary purpose of "normalizing"...
  9. Tony Mergel

Tony Mergel New Member

However, as Eli confirmed, normalizing a MIDI track does convert all note events to the same MIDI channel. This is not true of a software instrument track. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.
  10. Eli

Eli Senior member

Just to confirm again: It's definitely not working as expected. It does work fine when using External Midi tracks, but not on software instrument tracks.
  11. Tony Mergel

Tony Mergel New Member

Yes, that's correct.
  12. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

Logic has a serious problem of one foot on the platform and another on the train as the old saying goes.