1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Note onset display in event list

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by dimitri, Dec 15, 2014.

1. dimitri

dimitri New Member

Hello Forum

First post here -- many thanks for any help!

I am a long-time Logic user (since C-Lab Notator in 1991...). I have Logic 9 and because I haven't used it for about 6 months I've forgotten something!

In the event list, in a bar of 1/4, three quaver triplets would normally (or used to?) display with the onset values: 1,1,1 - 1,9,1 - 1,17,1

At the moment they are displaying as 1,1,1 - 1,2,81 - 1,3,161

Of course the notes are exactly the same three triplets.

Can anybody tell me how I get back to the original display?! I guess it's something really obvious... but I've searched the manual & spent a silly number of hours searching... am beginning to get frazzled!
    Thanks!! :)

dimitri

3. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

Hmm. Triplets have always displayed as 1 2 81 and 1 3 161 for me. I tried for a while, but I couldn't make Logic subdivide into 24ths as your 'old' display method seems to do. Maybe you have to start with a signature of 24/16 or something..?

4. Eli

Eli Senior member

I think the trick is to adjust the format division value in the transport. I set it to 96 and it seems to work as you describe. See the attached screenshot of quarter note triplets.

Attached Files:

5. dimitri

dimitri New Member

Hi Sonny

Many thanks for your reply.

Did you start out with Logic 9 maybe?

In Logic 7 it was definitely 1,9,1 - 1,17,1

Then, when I upgraded to 9 it showed in a differnet way, but I soon found a way of making it display the old way.

The reason for asking is that years ago I calculated a big chart which gave the event list numbers for a wide range of tuplets in any time signature. For example, (in Logic 7) 9 in the time of a 7/16 bar was: 1,5,6 - 2,4,4 -3,3,1 - 4,1,6 - 4,6,4 - 5,5,1 - 6,3,6 - 7,2,4. To correct this for Logic 9, the last digit had to be multiplied by 5, except when the last digit was 1, in which case it remains 1. Sounds complex, but you get used to it very fast, and it measn you can absolutely trust the rhythmic notation (which is not the case otherwise!)

But I still can't find a way of switching it back again!

Any thoughts anybody?

dimitri

6. dimitri

dimitri New Member

Hi Eli

Thank you!!!!!! Fabulous -- that indeed does the trick!!!!!

The kindness of forums is a joy!

dimitri