Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Novation LaunchKey Mini & Pro X

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Pickled Beats, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Pickled Beats

Pickled Beats New Member

I've been trying to map my Novation LaunchKey Mini to Logic Pro X with no success. I've also tried my Novation SLKmkII with no success either even though the SLK would map fine with Logic Pro 9. Anyone else have issues mapping to LPX? Also, what keyboard out there maps fine with LPX?

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

When you talk about "mapping fine with Logic 9", are you referring specifically to "auto map"?

I am also having trouble getting auto map to play nicely with LPX and my SL MKll. Plug-ins are constantly being re-scanned. And I am getting constant MIDI timeout errors. All using the latest 4.7 version of Automap.

What problems specifically are you encountering? I am curious if they are similar to mine.

Eli Krantzberg
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Pickled Beats

Pickled Beats New Member

I'm trying to map the rotary knobs on the Novation Launchkey mini to effects or instruments in LPX using the inControl button on the LKmini. As fas as scanning, that only happens when I add a new piece of hardware, not everytime I load LPX.

5. Eli

Eli Senior member

I don't have the Launchkey, so can't comment on that.

WRT the SL MK ll, I am finding that if I manually launch Automap first, before launching Logic, it bypasses the unnecessary scans. I can live with that.

Can any other automap/Logic Pro X users confirm this behavior? I am curious if Automap 4.7 is workign properely for anyone with LPX without having to manually launch Automap first. And if so, why it isn't on my system! :D

6. yavuz

yavuz Senior member

I have M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 and I think it is one of the best integrations I have seen.
    For me atleast...

In plug-in edit mode you can edit anything wo touching the mouse.

I use iPad for mixing but Axiom Pro for EQ, Compressor or any instrument...

7. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

I really like my SL MKll for key switching and as a control surface. Use of Automap is less frequent these days.

What version of OSX?

Automap 4.7 is currently only installed on my Mac Pro 1,1 running 10.7.5, and Logic Pro X.
    The Automap Manager comes on line when opening a new project in LPX. Sometimes I have to turn off, then back on the SL MKll in order for it to connect with Logic. Otherwise no problems.

I use to have the dreaded AU rescan issue. That went away when I made sure that the "Use Logic 9 64- bit friendly Audio Units" is checked On in the Automap preferences.

Have you tried this?
    http://us.novationmusic.com/answerbase/can-i-use-automap-with-logic-x

10.9 is a fairly new install on my MBP. No need for it at the moment, so Automap is not installed.

8. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hey Wally,

Thanks for the details. I am running on OS 10.8.4. I'm not 100% certain yet (not enough repeated attempts yet for a hypothesis to be formed), but I think I have gotten past the rescans by launching Automap manually first before launching Logic. I am getting MIDI timeout errors when using the capture last take command. But for regular MIDI recording and playback, things _seem_ to be relatively stable at the moment. I've only been working with this setup for a week or so now.

Can you elaborate on how specifically you are using it for key switching? I am curious, which libraries are you using it with, etc? What specific features of the SL MK ll are making it particularly useful for you wrt key switching?

Yes, I have followed that tech tip on the Novation site. The manual launching of automap before Logic seems to be the only solid antidote for me at the moment.

9. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Hi Eli,

Prior to Mavericks, 10.8.4 and Automap 4.7 on the MBP performed pretty much as described above.

I decided to get the SL MKll for key switching and the mod wheel when delving into the Kirk Hunter libraries with their TVEC programming for Kontakt. But also with Mach Five and HALion sounds as well. MIDI guitar is my main controller but it isn't as flexible as a keyboard with pitch/mod wheels, knobs, faders, and buttons.

Loading up a single cello keyswitch instrument (which includes all of the articulations) on one track, makes it easy to switch articulations as a phrase progresses. In my case, exploration of the articulations generally occurs during playback when not using Step Input keyboard.

Right now, I'm using a separate Nanokontrol for Smart Controls as Doug suggested in his tutorial. Not sure at this point if Automap maps to Smart Controls.

Cool stuff when it works.:D

10. Pickled Beats

Pickled Beats New Member

Well I was able to map my Novation LaunchKey Mini to Maschine 2.0, but still no go with Logic Pro X. I've pretty much given up on my Mk2, so I think it will go on eBay.

11. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

What version of OSX and Automap?

Did you work through the information provided in the link above?

12. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

I'll give you that AM may seem a bit fiddly to set up, true for me even with L9 but more so with each new version of OSX. But it always worked.

I just installed AM 4.7 on my MBP with 10.9. with a few initial moments of WTF (acceptable in text form but not when verbalized in public :D).

I followed the procedure in the link above. Logic will not be available in the AM manager Software Setup page but AM does appear in Logic>Preferences>Set Up.

After restart, all was working as expected.

13. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hey Pickled Beats,

Like Wally, I suggest you don't give up that easily. Automap, although a bit messy to get set up sometimes, basically does work. And it is pretty well integrated with Logic.

Here are some instructions I got from Novation tech support when I emailed them about the problem I was having with repeated scans on startup:

From Novation tech support:
    Can you please untick all of your plugins in the Automap > Software setup > Plugins > Audio Units page? Next, please enable ‘Use Logic 9 64-bit friendly plug-ins’. If you now tick all of your plugins in the Automap > Software setup > Plugins > Audio Units page, the first time you run Logic, your plugins should all scan, do they do the same after the first time?

As I've stated previously, starting up Automap manually before Logic seems to work as extra insurance for me. It's a minor inconvenience. Certainly worth it for the control Automap provides over Logic and it's plug-ins.

14. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Hey Eli,

Thank you for posting that tech support tip. I've pasted it into my Automap Tips and Troubleshooting document.

15. Pickled Beats

Pickled Beats New Member

I'm using AM 4.5 (I will download the 4.7 know that I know it is available) and I use Mavericks.

16. cortsix

cortsix New Member

Maschine 2 Pix.png You can use Maschine 2 with Logic X.

1. Start Maschine in stand alone
    2. Choose input device: Maschine controller MK2
    3. Choose output device: Maschine controller MK2
    4. Transpose your Maschine hardware to C1 (to assign your first pad as kick)
    Now you can use your pads to send midi data to Logic X!
    Enjoy:)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015