Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 8 one more question on dithering

Discussion in 'Logic 8' started by Taybot, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Taybot

Taybot Senior member

I feel like I've pretty much learned how to bounce my songs correctly but the only thing I'm not clear on is about dithering.

I've gathered this much:

Dithering is the absolute final stage, just before it either becomes an MP3/AAC etc. or burned onto a CD-DA.

If you're burning to a CD then use 16 bit WAV format with POW-r#1 or #3 dithering, 44.1 kHz sample rate.

so whenever i finish a song and want to make just a quick mp3 of it, I should apply dithering when I bounce it, right?

But I should not apply dithering if I'm bouncing it to a WAV file. Unless I'm burning it to a CD, or about to burn it to a CD, then I should.

Is that correct? Thank you!!

3. Maurits

Maurits Member

Actually, you shouldn't dither files that will be turned into mp3 (the nuances are too subtle to be of use in the mp3 while they might reduce quality because the waveform becomes more complex) but Logic already takes care of that: If you bounce to aif AND mp3 and select dithering, Logic will first convert the file to mp3 and then dither the original.

Apart from that, dithering should be applied only at the very last stage, and only if you're going down in bitrate (which should also be done as late as possible). :)

4. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

Dither is not an option when you bounce to MP3. Whether it's done automatically I don't know.

1) if the file is never going to be processed any more, e.g. . If you wanted to sell or otherwise distribute a 16 bit WAV file of a finished mastered track, you can and probably should dither it first.

2) If it's going to a mastering engineer or you intend to master or process the file yourself in Logic, then don't dither or bounce down to 16 bit from 24 bit, as any future processing will be done at a higher resolution, and then get bounced down agin to 16 bit for CD.

So in this case it's best to keep a 24 bit undithered file. Even if your project only had 16 bit audiofiles.

5. Taybot

Taybot Senior member

cool thanks a ton! I have another question though. I have been told the following:

In every case it is desirable to bounce to 24bit, unless what you're bouncing will go DIRECTLY to a CD-DA (Compact Disc Digital Audio..... so it also has to be 44.1KHz).

But then you just said,

"if the file is never going to be processed any more, e.g. . If you wanted to sell or otherwise distribute a 16 bit WAV file of a finished mastered track, you can and probably should dither it first."

I was under the impression I should always be using 24 bit wav files, but it seems you are advocating selling 16 bit WAV files.

But what do you recommend? Like if I'm bouncing a song to put available for free download, or to sell, do you think I should bounce to a 24 bit WAV or 16 bit WAV?

I always thought 24, but it seems like you are saying 16, so I just wanted to clear that up.

thanks as always!

6. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

Neither, I would recommend mp3. WAVs are much too big.

This is totally up to you. You can offer 24 bit wavs for download, it's just that I wouldn't. I prefer small file sizes.