Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Opening old cubase files —> Logic 9

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Oliver, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Oliver

Oliver New Member

New to this...
    I created some songs in Cubase VST in about 1999 on an old Mac, probably )S9 (?maybe even OS8?).
    Fifteen years later I would like to reload the songs so I can remix them. I now have Logic 9 but no cubase. I do not have either the old mac or the old software. I have managed to open the songs in Cubase LE on my iMac on OS 10.6 which blew up last week - a 2 core imac - and been able to see where the regions start in the arrangement and import audio and midi files one by one into Logic and start to place them in the right place (and then try and find similar sounds to the ones I originally used) Now my iMac has blown up and I have gone and got a quad core imac with OS 10.9.4, and find that Cubase LE doesn't work.
    Can anyone suggest a way I might be able to 'open' my old Cubase arrangements in order to export, or at least SEE, the arrangement so that I might re-do them in Logic.
    Thank you.
    Thank you very much.
  3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Get a newer version of Cubase with an eLicenser, and an older Mac such as a G4 to run SX3.

I picked up an old dual-boot G4 to run OS9 (Cubase VST32 (5.2) and OSX10.4 (SX3).
    The conversion is very easy. Once in SX3, you can save the MIDI as an SMF to open in Logic.

Weasel in the link above points to a version of SX3 that will run on Snow Leopard.
    But you still need a current version of Cubase and eLicenser.
  4. Oliver

Oliver New Member

Thank you for your helpful reply: I shall try and get my head round what you say.
  5. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Thanks for posting this. I have to do some similar stuff.

But wondering why you say you'll need a current version of Cubase? Once you have SX3 running on a Mac that runs 10.6.8, and you've exported the MIDI and Audio for import into Logic, why would you need a more recent version of Cubase?
  6. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

One needs to have a valid version of Cubase authorized on an eLicenser in order to be able to run SX3 that Sternberg makes available.

I had the impression that Cubase LE didn't require the eLicenser.
    If it does require eLicenser, then the thread starter just needs a computer that will run SX3.

I have SX3 on an old dual-boot G4 running OSX 10.4.11, and on a second internal drive in my MBP set up for SL. Both work great for the purpose of converting old .vst files to .cpr, SMF, or OMF.

File>Import>Cubase Song
    File>Save As for .cpr
    File>Export for SMF, OMF
  7. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

OK, thanks, I think I see. The downloadable version of SX3 is not the full original release, and needs some full Cubase version in place? I actually have SX 3 and the e-licencer authorization from way back, so I guess none of this would apply.
  8. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

If you have an authorized version of SX3 you're all set.

SB made the full version SX3 available to users as a workaround to open old .vst files.
  9. CSeye

CSeye Senior member