1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on UAD Ampex and Studer

Discussion in 'Audio Units: Effect and Instrument Plugins' started by HKC, Aug 5, 2013.

1. HKC

HKC Senior member

Hi
    I want the UAD Ocean Way Plugin asap and since there is currently a sale on a "Custom Bundle" which is buy any 3 plugins for 449 dollars this seems like good timing for me. The Ocean Way is 349 dollars on it's own so I get any other 2 to an additional 100 bucks.
    I have most of their interesting ones already (to me that is) but there are 2 that I have often considered not quite been convinced enough to buy.
    This is the 2 tape emulators namely the Ampex and the Studer plugins.
    I am demoing them now but I find that both are the kind of plugins that I would be able to judge better during a project and there is no time for that at the moment so I ask you here: What do you think about them ?
    They are among their best reviewed ones but do you in reality use them or is it just the same old story about a plugin that looks vintage and therefore it must be good :)

3. HKC

HKC Senior member

I have spent a little time with them now and I can tell that these are very subtle beasts. No doubt that the Studer can add punch to a drum bus. On many occasions I have used the PSP Vintage Warmer for this and although it has done me a lot of good over the years it seems to me that the Studer does this even better.
    Nearly all projects that I'm involved in includes recording of acoustic instruments and very often drums so to me this is a big thing.
    The Ampex I find is even more subtle and we're dealing with the very last cents of refining a mix/production. There certainly is that jelling effect but it won't make a weak recording amazing. It seems to me like it could a nice but too clean sounding recording (the ones I usually end up doing) a lot sweeter. From just a touch to quite overdriven.
    My first impression is that these are terrific plugins for adding the last details.....

4. EastWest Lurker

EastWest Lurker Senior member

Funny, i would have said the opposite. I think the Studer on busses (1 plug each on strings, brass, winds, rhythm, etc. is a more subtle difference than the Ampex on the stereo output. I use both at different times and they sound great.

5. HKC

HKC Senior member

It could be because I only tested it like UAD intended and Studer was fairly easy to hear on a drums aux. Ampex on an entire mix was a little more difficult to say if it did anything good.
    Anyway at the moment I an definitely leaning towards buying them.

6. EastWest Lurker

Like UA intended? I am a UAD beta tester and I am not sure what that means.

7. HKC

HKC Senior member

In the description of the 2 plugins the call the Ampex the perfect match for the Studer. The studer being made for single channels and the Ampex for mastering. I didn't mean anything else than that's how I tried them out and the Ampex could be really good on single tracks and vice versa :)

8. HKC

HKC Senior member

I bought them. Like I said in the thread opener, I wanted the Ocean Way badly and would have paid the 349 dollars for it so to get the two others is a bargain I find.
    Thanks for the input :)

9. EastWest Lurker

Yes, frequently I do a version of that. I route my strings, winds, brass, percussion etc. tracks outputs to busses for stems. I put a Studer on each of the stem busses and the Ampex on the 2 buss. Great sound.

10. HKC

HKC Senior member

I simply find that it makes the track sit better in the mix. It has that little touch that warms up the transients without evening them out like a compressor. It certainly is a very sophisticated plugin and I think that only recently I have been able to appreciate what it does.

Anyway mission fulfilled. $449 spent and 3 plugins added to the collection. Thanks for the input.

All the Best
    Henrik

11. EastWest Lurker

Enjoy! I certainly do.