Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X OSX App for Writing and Editing Sysex Messages?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by paulnajar, Mar 9, 2016.

1. paulnajar

paulnajar Senior member

Subject says it all really. What do people use for hardcore sysex writing on the mac?

I'm considering customising how my Novation Remote SL works with Logic and MainStage.

I have done bits using Logic Event editor but software that made it easy to work back and forth between decimal and hexadecimal would be really helpful and speed things up.

Is thee such a program for this?

Kind regards

3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

I do all this stuff with Max. Interfaces between controllers, Logic, Mainstage, hardware effects.
    But a lot of money just for SysEx ... Max can do much more though, MIDI and audio (and video).

4. paulnajar

paulnajar Senior member

Thanks Peter. That's actually a good suggestion and one I had not thought of. I actually found one on the OSX App Store called InerziaSysex but it does not allow me to actually send the packets to a device which I'm pretty sure max would.

Kind regrads

5. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

You could save the packages to files and send them via SysEx Librarian, triggered by Program Changes if you want. But this is very tedious of course. Not comparable to Max, which lets you construct and send/receive any message. Live manipulated or stored in some objects or both.

Well, that's not a challenge in Max.
    You just define scrollable number fields to show decimal or hex information:

[​IMG]

——

Below are a couple of examples for Max SysEx.

Single strings:
    [​IMG]

Partial strings:
    [​IMG]

Variable strings
    (TC Electronic D-Two):
    [​IMG]

Hardware interface
    (Lexicon MPX500, SysEx/CC/PC, clock generator, audio handling and monitoring):
    [​IMG]

But Max has a steep learning curve, it takes a while to get on the way in an efficient manner. On the other hand you can work with audio too, for example to create a matrix mixer for your devices, which is terrible in a DAW.

6. paulnajar

paulnajar Senior member

Thanks for taking the time to show me that Peter. Max looks ideal for what I'm trying to do. I going to try the 30 day demo. There are plenty of other little projects I could use it for indeed it's been on my list to add to my toolbox for a long time.

My first goal is to create some sysex strings embedded in a Midifile to put into Apple MainStage that loads with each patch I select for live playing. It's mainly just to write text to the Novation SL Mk2 screen thus avoiding having to have a laptop up there next to my keyboards. A Mac Mini tucked away is a much cheaper and better option.

Also for anybody's reference I discovered that in Logic's event editor in the local view menu there is the option to display sysex in hex instead of decimal.

Kind regards