1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT Garritan Harps

Discussion in 'Audio Units: Effect and Instrument Plugins' started by Jay Denson, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

If this is too off-topic please ignore it. Does anyone know exactly how to make GPO4 harp midi packets function. I mean step-by step?

Once again my apologies if this is not relevant to this forum.

TIA Jay

3. stv_collins

stv_collins New Member

Jay-
    Prompted by your post, I just played around a little with GPO to see if I was having any issues, since I hadn't used it since upgrading to LogicX. Initially had trouble, but then realized the Chromatic Harp doesn't play above A6 or below C0. Once I was sure the midi notes were in this range, everything worked OK.

Step by step-
    -created a new Logic song with 1 software instrument track
    -in the track's instrument insert, I selected AU Instruments>Garritan>Aria Player>Stereo
    -in the Aria player's first slot, I selected GPO>standard>4. Harps>Chromatic Harp 2 from the flip menu
    -checked that the track's midi channel was set to All (for simplicity in this test case)
    -noodled on the Aria player's keyboard interface to verify I could hear it playing
    -in Logic's tracks area, used the pencil tool to make a new region
    -in the midi editor, used the pencil to create some notes
    -played the track to make sure the midi notes were playing (and made the discovery that I couldn't use the full range of the piano roll editor with the harp)

Hope this helps

SteveC

4. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply. i don't see any reference to GPO4's instructions to copy midi data packets to what they refer to as a secondary midi track. That's the part I don't understand.

Jay

5. stv_collins

stv_collins New Member

Sorry for misunderstanding your question, Jay. I did some research & found this thread to put us on the right track: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-15269.html, in particular a posting by Karl Garrett near the top. I think he still left out a key detail, though.

Here's what I did that seems to work:
    -create two software instrument tracks. The first will be for recording or playing the midi, the second will contain the packets.
    -inserted the aria player in the first track's instrument insert & inserted the glissando harp in the player's first slot. I noted in the track inspector that this track was assigned to "Inst 1" I set the MIDI channel to 1 in the inspector
    -Selected the second track and opened the MIDI Environment Window (from the Window menu)
    -In the Midi Env. window, I changed the Channel to be Inst 1. (& changed the MIDI channel to 1). For some reason I could not make this change in the regular track inspector window. This is the key step to make this work.
    -Dragged a few harp packets from the finder onto different locations on the second track
    -Record-enabled the first track & recorded some notes using Logic's software keyboard. Verified that the pitch assignments changed as different packets came into play.

I also verified that you can place the packets on the same track you use to record, but this gets messy. The 2-track approach keeps the packets visible & easily editable.

Does this answer your question?

SteveC