Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT Garritan Harps

Discussion in 'Audio Units: Effect and Instrument Plugins' started by Jay Denson, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

If this is too off-topic please ignore it. Does anyone know exactly how to make GPO4 harp midi packets function. I mean step-by step?

Once again my apologies if this is not relevant to this forum.

TIA Jay
  3. stv_collins

stv_collins New Member

Prompted by your post, I just played around a little with GPO to see if I was having any issues, since I hadn't used it since upgrading to LogicX. Initially had trouble, but then realized the Chromatic Harp doesn't play above A6 or below C0. Once I was sure the midi notes were in this range, everything worked OK.

Step by step-
    -created a new Logic song with 1 software instrument track
    -in the track's instrument insert, I selected AU Instruments>Garritan>Aria Player>Stereo
    -in the Aria player's first slot, I selected GPO>standard>4. Harps>Chromatic Harp 2 from the flip menu
    -checked that the track's midi channel was set to All (for simplicity in this test case)
    -noodled on the Aria player's keyboard interface to verify I could hear it playing
    -in Logic's tracks area, used the pencil tool to make a new region
    -in the midi editor, used the pencil to create some notes
    -played the track to make sure the midi notes were playing (and made the discovery that I couldn't use the full range of the piano roll editor with the harp)

Hope this helps

4. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply. i don't see any reference to GPO4's instructions to copy midi data packets to what they refer to as a secondary midi track. That's the part I don't understand.

5. stv_collins

stv_collins New Member

Sorry for misunderstanding your question, Jay. I did some research & found this thread to put us on the right track:, in particular a posting by Karl Garrett near the top. I think he still left out a key detail, though.

Here's what I did that seems to work:
    -create two software instrument tracks. The first will be for recording or playing the midi, the second will contain the packets.
    -inserted the aria player in the first track's instrument insert & inserted the glissando harp in the player's first slot. I noted in the track inspector that this track was assigned to "Inst 1" I set the MIDI channel to 1 in the inspector
    -Selected the second track and opened the MIDI Environment Window (from the Window menu)
    -In the Midi Env. window, I changed the Channel to be Inst 1. (& changed the MIDI channel to 1). For some reason I could not make this change in the regular track inspector window. This is the key step to make this work.
    -Dragged a few harp packets from the finder onto different locations on the second track
    -Record-enabled the first track & recorded some notes using Logic's software keyboard. Verified that the pitch assignments changed as different packets came into play.

I also verified that you can place the packets on the same track you use to record, but this gets messy. The 2-track approach keeps the packets visible & easily editable.

Does this answer your question?