1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Out of Drive Space"

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Strumzilla, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Strumzilla

Strumzilla New Member

I have a late 2013 Macbook Pro 2.3 ghz core i7, 16GB RAM, 500 GB SSD drive with 66 GB hd space free. Recently I've started to get this issue where I can open up a project with 7 audio tracks and 1 software instrument, and after about 10-15 minutes I start getting a message that "OSX" is full. This will popup whether I'm trying to record or play. I'm generally only arming 2 of the tracks when this happens.

At the moment, everything resides on the SSD, which I thought would be okay since I still had 66gb free space. I tried using a 32GB flash drive just to save the audio files while recording and I keep getting the same error. It will work for several minutes and then when I get that message I can't play or record anymore without restarting logic. I tried going into the settings and saving to different directories, but with exception of the flash drive, they're all going to be on my SSD. Is there a setting to manipulate so I'm not going to see these errors? I'm not understanding why I should have a problem with all the free space I still have.

[​IMG]

3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

You have an excellent MBP.

In general, there should be no less than 15% of hard drive capacity available as free space. (That would be 75 GB for a 500 GB drive) So 66GB, while that seems like a lot, may be one factor in your scenario.

In general part 2, an optimal system would consist of a number of hard drives:
    - the internal drive for Mac OSX and apps such as Logic
    - a second drive for sample libraries
    - a third drive for Logic Projects (could be mechanical disc if recording audio)
    - a forth drive for backups of precious user data: documents, Logic projects, custom Logic Patches, channel strips, sampler instruments, etc

4. mt100uk

mt100uk Senior member

Is there any chance you've got the recording path set to an external drive/USB stick etc? CSeye is right about keeping a good amount free but it shouldn't report "Drive Full" unless it is full or very nearly (in the order of a few hundred MB)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Colin Shapiro

Colin Shapiro Senior member

Bear in mind that with 16GB RAM, there will be a hidden file on your drive that is 16GB in size. The OS keeps this at all times. So, instead of 66GB free, you really have only 50GB, and possibly less as there are most likely lots more hidden files that take up space.

As CSeye said above, extra drives are your best bet. I'd add a dedicated drive of 2-3 TB for Time Machine Backups off all drives connected. Remember, data doesn't exist unless it's in 2 or more places. ;)

6. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Senior member

Yep, as you use free space system performance declines, OSX has to access the system drive more often to manage virtual memory.

It's a vicious circle when you add a new track, virtual instrument, or effect added requires more virtual memory.

Currently with Firefox, iTunes, and Activity Monitor running my quad i7 MBP is using 247.9 GB of virtual memory!:eeek:

:thmbup:

7. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Senior member

Yep, as you use free space system performance declines, OSX has to access the system drive more often to manage virtual memory.

It's a vicious circle when you add a new track, virtual instrument, or effect, more virtual memory is required.

Currently with Firefox, iTunes, and Activity Monitor running my quad i7 MBP is using 247.9 GB of virtual memory!:eeek:

:thmbup: