1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Patches or Channel strips?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Mused, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Mused

Mused New Member

As someone used to working in Logic 9 I have made hundreds of channel strips with my own setups for plugin instruments, even Reaktor ensembles. I see that LPX now has a new format called patches but I'm struggling to see what advantages using patches would bring me, other than the ability to share them with Mainstage (which I rarely use).

The Groove 3 video I watched on Smart controls states that you should use Channelstrips to save Smart Controls with Logic plugins and Patches to save them with Third party plugins but I have experimented with this and I can save recallable smart controls using either format (the interesting thing is I can even then open the channelstrip created in LPX in Logic 9 so they are backwards compatible - sans smart control obviously).

So then I thought maybe the difference is the new patch merging feature would only work with patches, as the name suggests? However after experimenting with that I found this also works with channel strips.

So I'm still none the wiser about the differences, why should I move over to patches when channelstrips seem to do everything they can do, with the added advantages of backwards compatibility and the ability to load them from the channel itself (like a plugin) and not have to keep the library open to quickly switch strips? If Apple really want people to move to the new format they should at least make them easier to access than channelstrips.

3. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

Well.... you can't save patches as a performance is one difference and
    patches have the ability to be saved using multiple channel strips such as for track stacks which is the big difference.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT202738

4. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

If backwards compatibility is important to you, then continue to set up and use Channel Strips.

The really big advantage of Patches is that they will save complex routings.

To see this in action, create a Drummer track and insert one of the Production kits.
    Have the mixer open in the bottom of the window.
    Click on the Summing Stack disclosure triangle on the Drummer track in the Main Window, and witness all of the summing stack tracks and mixer channels appear. This huge setup is a Patch.

You can create complex layered synth or orchestral summing stacks. Once saved, they'll be instantly available for future use.
    That's amazing!!!

Channels strips only work on one channel.
    Patches can include many channels including their sends routing to reverb & delay, and Smart Controls.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  5. Mused

Mused New Member

Thanks - that explains it much better than the video did. So channel strip if I just want to save a single channel and patch if I want more than one.

6. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

You're welcome!

Basically, yes. If you're setting up a single channel strip, then save as a Channel Strip.
    Save as a Patch is your layered sound includes several channel strips.

7. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

@ Mused, I'm the author of the Groove3.com video you reference. It's been quite some time since I've done the series.

2 thoughts:

Behavior in LPX has changed via multiple updates.

The program had a few bugs in it, and some things that should of worked then didn't so I might have omit things or used work-arounds.

Lastly, MainStage used to be able to share channel strips, I assume it still can. you don't need to use parches at all......

8. Mused

Mused New Member

Thanks Doug, yeah my guess is they added the ability for Channelstrips to also save Smart controls in an update. Which is great because 95% of the time I would probably just use channelstrips anyway, I find them more convenient because I can load them directly from the channel like a plugin without having to open the library browser. One thing I don't get though is why can I not see smart controls for fx when I have an instrument in the channel? For some reason Logic seems to only allow fx smart controls to show when they are the only thing in the channel - is it that you can only have one smart control per channel? I would have thought it would make more sense to be able to switch between different control panels depending on what has focus?

9. Doug Zangar

I just played around with this... It seems that the first instance of a plug-in is the template for the smart controls, and contrary to how I think it used to behave, Smart Controls don't change when you add other plug-ins. I thought it was "intelligently dynamic" (my made-up term, not an Apple term...). So I guess you can either add controls and map or remap existing at any time. Seems that's your only choice - at least with 10.2

10. Mused

Mused New Member

That's disappointing, I was kinda hoping it was just me doing something wrong as I'm new to LPX. "Intelligently dynamic" was my expectation, it seems more likely they are aiming for one smart control per strip (or patch?) so I will have to choose which params to add from each device rather than have them switch from one control to another (which means less to go around).

11. Doug Zangar

It's always been on smart control per channel strip - but I think as you added plug-ins it modified it to add some features of the additional plug-ins. I tried to test it on 10.0.7, but the smart controls don't even work - i'm wondering if they got moved to a different location in 10.2. If I remember correctly, you can actually get up to 16 of the screen controls in one smart control bundle. You can also do multiple assignments to one screen control, should that work for you.

12. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Just for the record, I don't use MainStage. As such, all of my commentary on Patches is about the benefit of using them in Logic.
    We are fortunate to have so many options to work with in Logic.

13. Mused

Mused New Member

Yeah I rarely use Mainstage myself, for a supposedly 'live' app it loads slower than Logic X and seems more bloated and over complicated somehow. It took me ages to get round to upgrading from Logic 9 but I am loving LPX, apart from a few niggles like not being able to properly edit smart controls it's very well put together.

14. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Agreed!
    I watched Doug's Smart Controls video when it was released and found it very useful. The issue is that I jut don't care much for the Smart Controls layout. The skins are nice to look at but I prefer to automate what I need as I go. Other than that, Logic is set up for efficiency. It doesn't get in my way.