Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 'physical input' fails

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by peterlemer, Oct 5, 2009.

1. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

I tend to use my kit in 2 modes:

1. with my Audio interface (RME Fireface 800) turned on

2. with it turned off and everything going via iMic/USB

I do the latter sometimes, because I find that the RME software seems to collide with Parallels, or maybe it just takes too much RAM, I dunno. I find life easier to reserve RME for serious audio recording and/or production.

BE that as it mey, that's my usage, and what I find is that, when switching into RME mode, the Physical Input fails to update the MIDI routing - consequently any MIDI I/O also fails, until I click on the Physical Input and eventually it switches from the simple MIDI I/O of REM to the 8x8 I/O of Unitor.

I suspect that Unitor software is a bit skin-of-teethware, becuase in either mode I frequently have to power-cycle the unit to get Logic to see it.

So my sessions sometimes get hairy because I've lost MIDI connectivity, however briefly.

WHat I now practise:

1. powercycle Unitor.
    2. if that fails open Unitor utility and poke around
    3. go to 'Click and Ports' Environment layer and check that 'Physical Input' shows the right number of I/Os and that they're properly connected to the right objects. If the Physical Input shows the wrong configuration, poke it a few times and eventually it should pop int the right mode.

My qyestion is: is this ( MIDI config fails to track altered physical setup config) a familiar issue with L8/9?

3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

Basically yes, it went better over time but is still not ideal. I would not bet that the order of ports stays always the same but if you reboot Logic after a setup change it should work.

Changing the setup while Logic is open, mhm, works here when I connect/disconnect a device. The reliable method is to restart Logic.

But maybe your problem isn't in Logic? Next time try to rescan the MIDI network in the Audio/MIDI setup. Mine does not always see all devices correctly for whatever reason. And then it delivers wrong information to MIDI software. Can be an USB problem too.
  4. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

> if you reboot Logic after a setup change it should work.

yes I know :-(
    however, the misconfiguration happens every time I change setups.
    I have a config that manages EZDrummer/EZPlayer and the cables get disconnected when I switch setups, too.

I'll try rescanning my MIDI network.

Is there any kit newer and better than Unitor8 that will manage 8 chs I/O?

5. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

I am not sure about better but newer and not too expensive is the MOTU Midi Express 128.

It cannot patch, latency is reasonable. USB only, doesn't have an on/off switch (in the rare cases when your MIDI network makes it crazy you pull the USB plug). Channel 8 has front jackets, everything else and a channel 8 out port are on the rear. Activity lights for all 8 in/out on the front.
  6. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

thanks peter. Gone are the days of cool MIDI interfaces, eh? :)

It seems strange that Logic Pro ( and the others DAWS) doesn't (don't?) have a strong contingent of competing interfaces.