Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Piano Roll and Score show different things?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by bayswater, Sep 12, 2015.

1. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

I've recorded a simple line and looked at it in the piano roll and score. My question: why is Logic inserting a rest in the score view? Notes are quantized and forced to legato.

Screen Shot 2015-09-12 at 10.26.33 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-09-12 at 10.26.49 AM.png

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

The question really, is why is the last sixteenth note on beat three not tied over to the first sixteenth note of beat four. I think you need to try the Syncopation button in the Score editor.

Score.png

4. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Syncopation is on. I tried different quantize settings too.

Screen Shot 2015-09-12 at 10.55.09 AM.png

5. Eli

Eli Senior member

Interpretation?

6. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Thanks. That's the fix. I would have thought a quantized passage would be literally interpreted, but there is it.

7. Eli

Eli Senior member

Great! Glad it was a simple fix.

8. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

I am a little confused on this thread and although the OP has solved his problem, I am asking this to be sure "I" understand... more for me :)
    What I know to be happening
    With Interpretation on.... You should see the rest. If interpretation is on, the syncopation checkbox should have no affect ( in this particular case).
    With Interpretation off and syncopation off - you should see a tied 16th notes (rest is gone). With Interpretation on and syncopation on, the tied notes should become an 1/8th note (rest is gone).
    Is that what you are seeing?

9. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Yes, to all of the options. Initially, interpretation made no sense to me. With 100% quantized legato notes, it was not clear to me why there would ever be a rest.

10. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

Thanks for your response. Interpretation depends on the starting position of the note, its length and the display quantization currently in use.... So you cannot assume just because you quantized them, all will work as there are other factors to be taken into consideration. This particular example - however goes against what I thought would happen and I have forwarded it to others who may be able to provide an explanation of what Logic is doing under the hood here. I think it is normal, but I just can't quite get a handle on why? Anyway, if I learn more I will share.
    I love the Score Editor - My favorite part of Logic!

11. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Thanks. I'd be interested in understanding why Logic interprets a note that is the exact length of a 1/8 note as a 1/16 note followed by a 1/16th note. It would help understand how to produce what I want.

Maybe I should start another thread for this follow up question: I see that the chord being played is displayed in the LCD panel. Logic is pretty quick and accurate at figuring out chords. So I'm wondering why it doesn't auto-detect a chord in the score editor when a chord name or symbol is added. Or maybe it does and I've missed how it works? All I can see it how to add a generic chord name or symbol, and then rename it manually.

12. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

Logic 9 can do that. It was removed in Logic Pro X due to it buggy nature. Sorry you have to do it manually.
    However if your interest is in knowing what the chord is? there is a way (trick) to get the chords to display themselves up in the display for identification purposes during playback but can't be used for automatic chord insertion into the score.

13. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Thanks, but I already know what the chords are. I've played them into a MIDI region. I just want Logic to automatically name the chords for me on the score so I can give it to someone to play. It's not that much work to type them in, but I hoped Logic would do it. That and slash notation, which I also don't see in Logic's score editor, would make short work of rhythm guitar parts.

14. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

Well sorry about that - manually it must be, but one can move really fast with the tab key. However slash notation does exist. Just change the the staff style "rest type" from "show" to "slash" to reflect that. Lead sheet also have it set by default.

slash notation.GIF

15. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Thanks. I'll have another look. It's the notes I want to represent with slashes, and with the tails indicating note length. Like this:

Screen Shot 2015-09-13 at 10.01.13 PM.JPG

16. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

There are two ways. In the score editor double click a note to bring up the note attribute dialogue and select the note head you want from the note head drop down parameter. This method only works on one note at a time.
    Method 2
    Highlight the note or notes you want to change and drag the note head you want from the part box over on top one of the notes. And it will change all notes that are selected.

17. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Thanks for the help. I need to spend some time digging in to the score editor at a deeper level.

What you suggested will change the note head, but doesn't result in slash notation you might find for rhythm guitar. The example I posted above has a set of notes making up a chord. The chord is named above it, but only the timing is displayed below. The fingering positions for the chords are left up to the player. This was done in MuseScore, which also can't auto-detect chord names, and requires exporting MIDI from the DAW.

18. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

For the slash notation I use the lead sheet staff style and create rhythm hits separately, and change the note heads.

19. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

What note head do you use? They all retain pitch info. Do you do a track specifically for rhythm without variation in pitch?

20. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

So are you saying the attached will not suffice in terms of your intended objective?
    What is missing?
    Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 8.56.12 PM.png

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  21. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

@ bayswater, I move all pitches to the center line - B if using table clef. Multiple ways to do this.

@ volovicg, your example looks pretty much how mine would.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015