1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pitch correction on 2 words of a whole song

Discussion in 'Studio Techniques' started by Taybot, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Taybot

Taybot Senior member

I'm using logic 8. trying to put like a pitch correction/autotune type effect on one part of a song.

Like I don't want to make a whole new track for those one or two words. I figured there are other, better ways.

An exact example of this is this vid, right at 2:50, when he says "out" and it like pitches it or something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwY2V86DbjA

Can someone tell me what the easiest way to do this is? would it be automation, or is there an easier way, cuz I still haven't learned much about automation.

or do I just have to make a separate track? thx!

thanks a ton!

3. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

Why not just re-pitch the 2 words using the Time and Pitch Factory in the Sample Editor?

4. Taybot

Taybot Senior member

How do I do that tho, like how do I distinguish that I'm working with those 2 words, when they are part of one long track, which has the rest of my verse on it?

Also, I've never used the Time and Pitch Factory, I have to figure that out.

thanks!

5. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

Carve them into new regions with the Marquee tool and open them in the Sample, then use the T & P. 100 cents=1/2 step.

6. mikesilence

mikesilence New Member

What about putting the pitch correction plug into the channel and bypass it except for these 2 words (using automation)?

7. pv_joker

pv_joker Member

As always with Logic, there are many ways to achieve this and it is just a case of choosing which one you feel most comfortable with / which one you can achieve the quickest. This is what I absolutely love about Logic.

8. JLonderee

JLonderee New Member

Here's an easy way to do what you want, with tools you are probably familiar with:

1. bypass plugins on vocal track, (option-left click) except for pitch effect.

2. use the marquee tool to drag a box on the vocal region around the two words and click the box you just made to make a small region with only your 2 words in it

3. right click small region, -> bounce replace region

Name-whatever
    Destination - selected track
    Source - delete (back up your project or the track) or mute

Uncheck all the boxes, turn normalize off.

4. remove pitch shift plugin (it's rendered into the two word region)

5. turn track plugs back on

now that small region on your original vocal track with the two words in it has been replaced by an identical region with the pitch effect included, and the rest of your vocal is normal.

long explanation, but won't take very long if you know the basic tools, took me about under 2 min to try it. I have a two button mouse, tho, so that might be different for you.