Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Play from playhead position

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by mrvinyl, Dec 29, 2012.

1. mrvinyl

mrvinyl New Member

Hi Guys,

Merry Christmas hope you found some time to get some logic business done!!

Shortcut question: Space bar is play/stop but I want the playhead to play from where it is and not bar 1 each time.

On a normal qwerty keyboard with numerical keypad I usually use the full stop to play from playhead position.

How do I do this on a laptop keyboard? What is the shortcut?

3. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

You can always open the key-commands dialog and customize/change the defaults with your own.
    Regards,
    A.G

4. mrvinyl

mrvinyl New Member

Thanks , yep thats cool but is there a default key command for this?

5. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

"Pause"

Change your keyboard Preset in the Key Commands window, or create your own custom key command as Tangra suggested.

6. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

On my extended keyboard the space bar toggles stop/start at current location, it never goes back to bar one.

Suggestion: if you are using your laptop, do what I did. Get an extended keyboard for it. Then you don't have to memorize a different set of key commands for your desktop and laptop. The extended keyboard is way better for editing (IMHO) anyway. Alternately, I know people who have made laptop key commands their standard and use those for their desktop anyway. I think that dummies things down, but they like it better. To each their own.....

7. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

The OP didn't indicate this, but I'm guessing that Cycle mode is active in which case the space bar does place the playhead back to bar 1, hence my suggestion to use the Pause key command.

I've been using an extended keyboard per your recommendation for over a year now. It makes a huge difference. Can't use Logic without it.:thmbup:

8. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Well, I'm confused.......

To me that says when the OP hits space bar it goes back to bar one.... OP, care to clarify?

And yes, the extended keyboard is a power users' friend ;)

9. Hugo Jacquet

Hugo Jacquet Member

On my MBP option + Enter invokes pause. Without modifying key commands. Upon spacebar playback starts at playhead position. Also when cycle mode is on.

Hth,

Hugo

P.S. My keyboard is AZERY with "french" as key commands preset, so ymmv...

10. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

I just checked: option + Return (enter) is the laptop (non-numeric keypad) key command in English as well. Works as expected by holding down the option key while toggling pause on//off with the the return (enter) key.

11. Hugo Jacquet

Hugo Jacquet Member

That's great. When pause in "on" you even don't have to use the key command again. Simply pressing spacebar works also.

Side note: I've bought a querty extended keyboard last week. Back to studying other key commands + keyboard is upstairs while I often am downstairs, using a laptop for the moment. So Imac here I come (next year :))

Anybody experiences with the new Imac+ Logic (especially fusion drive!)?

12. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Getting the extended keyboard is a smart move as it makes switching between MBP and desktop a seamless transition, plus offers more flexibility when using the MBP.

As much as I would like to, it's just not yet time for me to purchase a new Mac.:(

Looks like many exciting new developments are in store for those ready to buy in 2013.:D

13. Eli

Eli Senior member

Sorry for jumping in to this thread so late, but I just wanted to add one thing that I don't think has been touched on yet:

As Doug and others have noted, the default behavior of the Space Bar is to stop and start playback back without jumping to the beginning (when there is no cycle active).

But the behavior of the separate Stop and Play functions is influenced by the settings that appear when you do a long click hold on either the Stop or Play buttons in the Transport Bar.