Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 8 Please explain: Deleting Unused Parts from The Bin

Discussion in 'Logic 8' started by meanstreetsmusic, Apr 6, 2010.

1. meanstreetsmusic

meanstreetsmusic New Member

Hi Guys!

I happily came to Logic form Cubase and was wondering if there is a feature where I can tell Logic to delete and files not being used in my arrangement from the bin and from my project and project folder?

3. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

Yes, in the audiobin window choose Edit>Select unused (SHIFT + U). Then audiofile menu > delete files. The default key command is CTRL backspace.

(don't just hit backspace, that only deletes the reference in the bin, not the file from the drive).
  4. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Just a reminder, at that point they're still on your hard dive, residing in the trash folder. So you have a chance to get something back if you accidentally deleted it. By that same token, do empty the trash once in while (just like your mother always asked you to do ;)) to avoid a bunch of data on your drive sucking up space.
  5. daughterofthesun

daughterofthesun New Member

Deleting unused parts

I go to the audio bin and click on the edit tab. Under the dropdown menu you'll see "select unused." This selects only the audio that you're not using. Once that's selected, I hit the delete button, which deletes only the unused audio.
  6. Pete Thomas

This will delete the file references from the audio bin, but not from the hard drive. (see above)

To delete from the hard drive as well you need to press CTRL and delete.
  7. pfloyd714714

pfloyd714714 Senior member

I'm going to jump in here with a somewhat off-topic question.

If I choose edit from above the audio bin and select "Delete unused," I will often be asked if I really want to delete these files, since they are used by 11 (or some such to me, at least, randomly generated number) other projects. Now, this cannot be, since I name my channel strips according to the song I'm working on. So, for instance, "Bass.songI'mworkingon." I then get paranoid about deleting these files for fear that something untoward will happen to other songs, though I cannot imagine how.

Where might Logic be seeing these other 11 projects that require these files? Could they be backups of the same song being recorded?

8. Pete Thomas

I never ever ever ever use an audiofile from another project's folder without first copying it and changing the reference.

I made the mistake of keeping common audiofiles when I first started using hard disk recording. It's a lesson soon learned.

So as long as that is your working method, then all should be fine. Common names are fine as long as you stick to an individual recording path/location for each project.
  9. pfloyd714714

pfloyd714714 Senior member

Thanks for the reply, Pete. By adding the name of the song to the channel strip name, all audio files have that unique name ("Bass.songtitle.#34"). This is how I try to ensure that no audio file from one project can be confused with another. That makes it all the more perplexing when I'm informed that "Other projects may use this file." But, except for that particular song and its backups, there is no other project that could possibly use the file in question. It has baffled me for awhile.

10. dennism

dennism New Member

You have to hold shift while deleting

At least in Logic Studio 8, you have to hold down the shift-key while deleting unused files from the bin to delete the files from the hard disk; the program will confirm this deletion in a dialog. The files are deleted and can be found in the trash of OSX.