1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help: Major upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by synthhead01, Sep 26, 2012.

1. synthhead01

synthhead01 New Member

Hey everyone!

I run a Macbook Pro (older 15" from '08; 2GB Ram, new Logic Board/SuperDrive/Display/500GBHDD w/ about 30GB left) with OSX 10.5.8, Logic 8.0.2 (Academic). I learned the hard way that I need OSX 10.6 minimum to run a new plug-in (Camel Audio's Alchemy). Long story...

This snowballs into the fact that I think I'm really living on the back-end of technology. I might need a newer OSX than 10.6, but also possibly Logic 9, and a faster Macbook. I think I've overlooked keeping with the standards and it's now time to move on. Over 4 years just went by in a snap. *Sigh*... now there's Mountain Lion.

I don't think going with minimum Snow Leopard will be much improvement, but I did consider it. Keeping in mind that there can be problems on the opposite extremes as well: too much on the edge can have potential compatibility problems with plug-ins, third party apps, etc.

Is Lion (OSX 10.7) a pretty safe choice? The downside is it looks like I gotta get 10.6 first to install it...

Will Logic Pro 9 be appropriate as well? The 32-bit/64-bit thing is new to me but it seems like it would be necessary with the new OSX paradigm. Plus I'd have a proper version and not an 'Academic' one.

The new computer is the least important, I suppose it's a matter of being up to date as well and starting with a fresh HD. I've been getting by with 2GB Ram pretty well too. I think even just 4GB would be amazing.

Anyway, let me know your advice please! And if I'm getting carried away or whatnot...

Thanks in advance.

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hi there,

FWIW, Logic 9 runs perfectly fine on OS 10.6.8. That's what I use on my 2008 8 core tower, with no problems.

2GB of ram isn't much. If you can upgrade it, that would certainly help. But you _can_ run Logic 9 with 2 GB of ram. You just won't be able to load in very many sample based instruments.

And in terms of 32/64 bit, you can still happily run Logic 9 in 32 bit mode with older plug-ins. There is absolutely no down side to it. You just aren't getting the benefits of 64 bit mode. But it runs perfectly fine in 32 bit mode with older plug-ins.

4. synthhead01

synthhead01 New Member

Hey Eli,

Thanks! That's good news overall. :D

Is the jump to 64bit processing similar to adding more RAM? I will have to do some good research!

Thanks again.

5. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Feel free to have a look at FAQ 9.

kind regards

Mark

6. Eli

Eli Senior member

The whole thing about running in 64 bit mode is that Logic can take advantage of additional ram. With your system, I wouldn't think about running in 64 bit for now. You don't have enough ram to realize any advantage. Plus you have all older versions of whatever plug-ins you are using.

So just use what you have for now. Upgrade to 10.6.8 to jump to Logic 9 and to run the plug-in you mentioned. But you don't need to change anything else if your computer is working for you currently.

7. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

I would suggest that you do consider upgrading your ram if you can. Ram is cheap, and even going from 2 to 4 or better 8 GB can really make a difference.

Logic 8 was the most buggy version of Logic in my opinion, 9 is MUCH better, and 9.1.7 is, overall, one of the better versions of Logic I've used.

Don't bother to go from 10.6.8 to either 10.7 (really bad video drivers) and 10.8 stops one from using Rosetta, the app that allows one to run older PPC codes apps (and you would be surprised to see how many apps that might be on an older system like yours).

That's my 2 cents...

8. synthhead01

synthhead01 New Member

Thanks everyone. I went ahead with the OS Snow Leopard + L9 upgrade, and it all works pretty good! Things are definitely a lot nicer, and I've noticed a lot more details and improvements. I look forward also to upgrading RAM a little, as I think the workstation is a little slower at times.

One more question: Is it worth downloading the additional library content (I think over 19GB!)? As I mentioned before, I had Logic 8 Education. Although L8 was replaced with the new Logic, the old Jam Packs are still accessible via Logic. Is there any significant difference in the library content?

Thanks again.

:D