Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plugin analyser

Discussion in 'Audio Units: Effect and Instrument Plugins' started by kanedit, Jul 10, 2015.

1. kanedit

kanedit New Member

Would anyone happen to know if there is some type of plugin that analyses sample loops. For instance, if I wanted to know what key a particular kick drum was, is there a tool that would help me learn and understand the differences in kick drum sounds. So like Melodyne is a pitch correction vox tool, not quite like this where I want to change the sample loop, but a tool that allows me to analyse.

Any advice is most welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
  3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

For the frequency spectrum, any good frequency analyzer can do the job. Some show even the musical notes plus the deviation in cents, this helps if you want to tune a virtual drum by numbers rather than by ears. Look at the tools from Voxengo and Blue Cat for example, their plugins are affordable and very good throughout. You want an accurate average curve, peak hold and preferably a freeze function. To compare different sounds you may want a multichannel analyzer, which simplifies the process.

The character of percussive sounds does also depend on dynamics which can be analyzed within a certain time range. Ad hoc, I don't know a plugin which does it comfortably, maybe you stumble across something in the websites I linked above.

I use Spectre for accurate and convenient measurements. This is a standalone program, can be fed from Logic via an audio interface, virtual channels like Soundflower or Jack, or via the AUNetSend plugin. Each tool in Spectre is configurable and many can work with multiple channels, just depending on the way you feed them.