Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Possible to create a SI Apple Loop?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by CSeye, May 30, 2012.

1. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

I have many old and new drum MIDI files that I'd like to convert to software instrument software instrument apple loops.

Searching through the manual offers the following that seems to me suggests that it's possible to do so:

"• Select an audio or software instrument region in the Arrange area, and choose Region > Add to Apple Loops Library in the local Arrange menu (or use the Add Region to Apple Loops Library key command).

• Drag an audio or software instrument region into the Loop Browser.

However, when I do this, I get a File Not Found, Result Code = -43 message. Followed by: Only files in Apple Loops format will be shown in the loop browser. :mad:

I do have EZ Player Pro which works great as a SMF file browser routed to UB for auditioning.

An alias of the SMF folder is also in the User>Music>Logic folder so that it can be accessed from Logic's Browser tab. Show in Finder does give me an option to audition the files.

Assuming user error on my part, has anyone been able to convert MIDI files to green loops?
    I'd like to keep things centralized within Logic to the extent possible.

3. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

Works fine, but you have to do it like this:
    Make a track, add your instrument, and then the midi loop you want to save.
    Now the "make apple loops" command is available in the "Region" menu in the arrange window's menu's.

Now, as far as adding a large group of loops, I can't suggest a way, since you NEED to have the instrument IN the track in order to actually make the loop work.I don't know of any app that would do this as a bulk command kind of thing... sorry.

But to answer your question, it's pretty easy, as long as you follow the steps.
  4. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Thank you for responding.

I did as you suggested: Inserted UB (or the EXS24), dragged a SMF file onto the track, then selected "Add to Apple Loops Library" in the Regions menu.

The same errors messages occur.

For whatever reason, this function doesn't seem to be working on my system.
    I'll revisit this tomorrow.

Batch conversion would be a charm, but I was fully prepared to create SIAL one at a time.

5. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Thank you for responding.

A couple of things: It worked when selecting "One-shot". I had been selecting "Loop". The MIDI file is converted to an audio file but with a Greens Loops icon. Any thoughts on how to keep the loop as a MIDI file?

Batch conversion would be a charm, but I was fully prepared to create SIAL one at a time.

6. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

This does (or should) work. I did it in Logic 8 a bit. It's NOT good to do these as one-shots. You really want to do them as a loop. There are various reason why it will appear to be saved only as a one-shot. One of them (I think) is length. Verify they are an even one or two bars. Also make sure your tempo and key of the project correspond with the loop (probably more important in audio loops than MIDI).

You could also try doing these in the Apple Loop Utility. You can do batch conversion there - it's been a few years so details are blurred...... This may be only for audio loops now that I think about it....
  7. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

George and Doug have you sorted, just wanted to make sure that their points are clear:

1) Do MIDI loops exactly the way George explained. Just make sure that your region ends EXACTLY on the bar line. No trailing MIDI data or anything. If it doesn't end exactly on the bar, as Doug points out, Loop wont be available.

2) there's no way to make MIDI loops either in bulk or in the ALU. The ALU is audio only.

8. Eli

Eli Senior member

Also, just in case this might be a source of the problem you are having: there is a maximum length of 32 bars permitted for Apple Loops. At least that used to be the limit - don't know if it has changed or not.
  9. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

Eli's right—and it hasn't changed.

10. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

First of all, many thanks to all for the helpful responses.:thmbup:

I tried today with a new MIDI file from a Toontrack Monster Pack and it worked!:D

My initial test 4 beat MIDI file was originally created in an HR-16, and later converted to SMF in a legacy DAW. It functions as expected when imported into Logic as a MIDI file, but the previously mentioned error messages still pop up trying to create a SIAL. No big deal.

At this point, I'll start converting my newer files and maybe figure out the issue was with the older file in time.

Best regards to all :thmbup::thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:
  11. Doug Zangar

WHen you decide you have too much free time, for kicks try exporting said HR-16 SMF out of Logic and bring it back in. Possible it could work at that point.
  12. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

:D Hah!
    Not complaining, but converting SMF to SIAL does take a bit of time, meaning that I'll selectively convert my favorites as time allows...

Funny thing, other old SMF converted from the HR-16 were added as Apple Loops without any issues. The problematic file (on my MBP) was converted without issue on my Mac Pro 1,1. Go figure.

Long gone at this point. But I still do have an Alesis Data Disk, just in case I need to insert a floppy for one reason or another.;)
  13. Doug Zangar

Sounds like a corrupt file on your MBP. Just can't trust computers..;)
  14. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Thanks Doug!
    It was indeed a corrupt file. A copy from my backup hd worked just fine on the MBP.:thmbup:

Side note: There was a time I would have been quite happy with some adaptation to hook up a monitor to my Alesis MMT8 that was tape-synced to a Fostex 260. :hippy:

Attached Files:

15. Doug Zangar

Went through all that outboard gear myself in the day - helping someone right now converting Roland Sound Brush and Alesis HR-16 sequences to DAW MIDI files....
  16. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Future-proofing content is time or $ well spent! Especially as technology seems to change at an ever-faster rate these day.

On a side note, a couple of years ago, it was cool to see how many 78 rpm record players (with and without USB connectivity for digitization..) were/are available in this MP3 era. Then again, I was amazed at how some folks would actually pay thousands $$$ for special vibration-reducing surfaces for their turntables. Fortunately, I found an excellent anti-vibration spot near where the floor and wall meet that allows me to around in the vicinity without disturbing the stylus in groove. :D

Just for the record, the above comment does relate to the original topic of this thread with the broader theme of converting older formats into more currents, sort of.:hippy: