Logic Pro 8 Pre-Purchase Advice for MacPro...

charlie

Logician
Hi All,
So I am ever closer to purchasing a new MacPro (AND upgrading from LP7 to LP8...):)
I just read the thread about hard drives for the MacPro which I found immensely useful.
My question has to do with transferring my arsenal of plug-ins to the new mac and for use in LP8.
Since I have been using a PowerBook G4 (about 4.5 years old...?)
I have always used Audio Unit versions of my plugs as well as some VST (with wrappers)
DUMB QUESTION: Can I continue to use AU plugs or is there something else I should be aware of?
Something in the back of my mind remembers reading about different plug-in formats (in addition to TDM or audiosuite,) for the newer Macs...
But since I was on an older machine, I kinda tuned that information out. :rolleyes:

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

charlie

All your AU plugins will need to be Universal Binary for your new Intel Mac. The latest available versions of all your plugins will probably work fine.
All the best,
Paul.

Upvote 0
"All your AU plugins will need to be Universal Binary for your new Intel Mac. The latest available versions of all your plugins will probably work fine."

--So, just to clarify, you're saying that I may not need to "do anything" to get my plugs working on the new MacPro. Yes?
(And I say that knowing that I need to go to the Plug-In companies and download their installers & have my licenses ready to input on the new machine etc...)
I just want to avoid doing this twice because of some oversight on my part...
Transferring licenses will take me a while. -ugh.

Anyway, thanks again!
Charlie

Upvote 0
What You need to do is to go through all Your AudioUnits in the plugin folders. (Library->Audio->PlugIns->Components, and in <USERFOLDER>/Library->Audio->PlugIns->Components )
Do a Show Info and in that window You will see what architecture the plugin is made for.
If it says "Universal", it's ready to work on Your new MacPro.
If it says "PowerPC", You'll need to update to a newer, Intel compatible version.

20090517-jg48dncw4nh512r52ajpbhhxqj.jpg

I went from a G5 to a MacPro in January 2008 and I had made sure that all my plugins were of the latest versions well before the switch and I had no problems at all. (Though I had to say goodbye to some old plugins that no longer had support, nothing serious though...)

Good Luck!
Janne

Upvote 0
Back