1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 producing GM general midi files

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by steveyeager, Mar 27, 2010.

1. steveyeager

steveyeager New Member

can anyone help me figuring out how to produce GM files in logic that will play on most any platform that handles GM?

this website has many midi files, and i'm trying to produce something like these

any help appreciated

i'll even pay someone for phone support
  3. Eli

Eli Senior member

I don't think there's any magic answer. Get yourself a good sounding General MIDI sound module. Program up your parts. Make sure to normalize all region parameters and consolidate all the regions on each track. And then export as standard MIDI file from the Export menu under the Global File menu.
  4. steveyeager

steveyeager New Member

so are you saying ypu can't dp this in logic?? i need an external module??

5. Eli

Eli Senior member

Certainly you can do all the programming in Logic using software instruments.

But, my understanding of General MIDI is that it also needs to include bank and program change messages. I'm not certain about that though.

If you did need to include program changes that's easy enough to do. Just download a general midi patch list to get the program change numbers and then insert them into your regions where necessary before exporting.
  6. steveyeager

steveyeager New Member

can you tell me how to insert program changes in a region?

i see it in the event list

but all my sounds are coming out piano

7. Eli

Eli Senior member

To insert program changes n the Event List just press on the Create button in the upper left corner, and then click on the "Progr.Change" button in the row underneath it.

But what are you using a sound source? Logic's internal software instruments don't respond to program changes. Putting these events in the MIDI regions on tracks assigned to internal Logic instruments will have no effect.

Unless you are programming "Performance" changes - but that's a whole other story involving Channel Strip Settings and is getting off topic from your original question. There is another thread running on this forum currently about using MIDI program changes for that. But it's got nothing to do with programming GM files.