Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Q Swing percentages?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by David51, Feb 28, 2011.

1. David51

David51 Senior member

I have violins playing 16th triplets and have been experimenting with the Q-Swing percentages. It seems that 50% gives the most "straight" playback, but at one point they must play with an oboe and the swing is hard to match to the oboe. Does 50% represent the straightest a MIDI file like this can be played back?

Attached Files:

3. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

Have you considered making a groove template of the oboe and applying it as a quantise for the violins? They will then match its timing exactly. You may then want to randomise it a bit.
  4. xmiinc

xmiinc Member

Great tip, Pete. Per your original question, David51, yeh, 50% is the 'straightest' quantize. And its sensitive. [disclaimer: I'm new to Logic, but an old hand when it comes to sequencers] There's not much beyond 60% that I've heard that doesn't sound 'experimental' to put it charitably, so for most music all the action is in that ±10 from 50% range. Greater values tend to drag the beat, lesser values will lead the beat. Once you start weighting those values with parameters like strength, range, and velocity however, you can get some really subtle feels.
  5. David51

David51 Senior member

Pete and xmiinc, Thanks very much for the help. Sorry to reply so late[boring Hospital tests got in the way] Pete-great idea since I had planed on recording the oboe part myself anyway-thanks. xmiinc, thanks for the info, I had seen[heard] that the effective range of Q-swing would be limited,but your confirmation helps a lot in keeping me sane. You are also right about the subtle feels it's possible to get, thanks for the help.