1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reading Lyrics on the gig

Discussion in 'Working in the Music Industry' started by mtjkeys, Mar 3, 2013.

1. mtjkeys

mtjkeys Member

Hi LUG,

Is there a cheap/easy way to use TextEdit or a Word document or PDF to setup on a Mac laptop to be able to read lyrics off the screen on the gig?

I'm just trying to visualize at this point: saving the lyrics the right way, a footswitch of some sort....don't really know. Just looking for help...

Thanx in advance.

mtjkeys
    Tim Jennens

3. Per Boysen

Per Boysen Senior member

I've done that using Mainstage's text objects synchronized to Playback files (plus live audio effects etc). A few backing track files were first prepared in Logic, from the orignal album project, and when doing that I pasted in text as Markers. When bouncing down a mix to a stereo file and opening that file in with the Playback plugin in Mainstage all Logic's text Markers are automatically picked up by text objects you may have created in Mainstage.

4. Per Boysen

Per Boysen Senior member

Oh, another fun technique I heard Ozzy Osborn uses is to put a projector in the ceiling to project lyrics right on the stage floor before your feet. Must be the perfect solution for a shoe gazer's band! :)

5. michaelo

michaelo LUG Emeritus

Another really good technique not often employed these days is to actually memorise the lyrics. Not fashionable I know...

6. mtjkeys

mtjkeys Member

Dear Per & Michael,

I was hoping for help, but it looks as though all I got was cheeky comments. I've been playing for over 50 years. I'm 62 and still gigging. I've used Logic since 1998 and I just did a Mainstage setup after researching and setting it up the last year or two. My rep is pretty extensive comprising 400-500 tunes. I just learned a Steely Dan tune from Two Against Nature, "Almost Gothic" it's a little difficult playing and singing it. Having the little lyric/chord sheet on my laptop while I play would be nice, but true help I guess is not available. I guess I was premature thanking in advance.

Tim Jennens
    mtjkeys

PS: By the way, Doug Zangar WAS truly helpful with my Mainstage setup. Emailing me personally and I paid for a phone consultation with him to speed things up and point me in the right direction..

7. Per Boysen

Per Boysen Senior member

Hi Tim,
    I'm not able to work out from your post if you need to run the lyrics display and Logic at the same time, so maybe the suggestion of Keynote falls flat here. I sometimes go out and work as a speaker and then I use Keynote to swap displayed pages from a bluetooth knob in my pocket. It's the bluetooth controller that comes with a Mac and you can tape it to a mic stand or a guitar. And as for Keynote, you can just paste lyrics text into it as any word processor. The best display and easiest distance control is in the full screen mode though, so this might become a problem if you need to run and tweak Logic simultaneously.

8. michaelo

michaelo LUG Emeritus

For gigging I use an iPad for lyrics off to one side onstage. Normally i memorise lyrics but for songs i only do occasionally I find 'My Lyric Book' app to be very useful. It will allow you do display any pdf as large or small as you need it.