1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 8 recommended "bounce" mp3 settings?

Discussion in 'Logic 8' started by tC_rob, Aug 18, 2009.

1. tC_rob

tC_rob New Member

hi guys. for some reason, that won't come to mind at this particular moment, i changed the bit rate for mono and stereo - in the bounce screen.

mine are mono 192, stereo 192. with use best encoding and filter frequencis below 10hz checked.

stereo mode: joint stereo.

vbr: unchecked.

and normalize, unchecked. since i'm using izotope ozones limiter.

my recordings sound nice when bounced and converted to mp3! however, i'm really picky and demanding when it comes to quality. so i wanted to ask, should i change the bit rate for mono or stereo? or change any other setting? that will make the song sound like it should, or make it sound to its full potential? i want to know what the recommended settings are to abide by standards. appreciated.
  3. tC_rob

tC_rob New Member

oooookay. thanks for the help. amazing.
  4. mattrixx

mattrixx Senior member

For mono bounces, use half the bit rate of Stereo etc..... Obviously the higher the bit rate, the higher the quality and the bigger the file.
  5. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

tC_rob, those are the settings I would use if I were going to be picky about my mp3s, except, as Matt pointed out, you only need to go to 96 kbps for mono to achieve the same quality. I have two distributors for the radio commercials I produce, and one insists upon 320 kbps files but the other is happy with 160 kbps. If you want to get really picky, you could go to 320, but I think it's overkill - I can't really hear the difference.
  6. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

For mp3s I always leave about 1dB headroom. I read somewhere that you should do this, haven't actually done any serious testing, I'd be interested if this is worth doing or an old wives' tail.

If file size is an issue, it is definitely worth experimenting with lower settings as some material seems to be tolerant than others.

BTW you might get more answers without the sarcasm as in your second post!
  7. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Why don't you run some mixes with different bit rates, get some listeners to come by and carry out some blind A-B tests on them? That should go some way to telling you what siginficance different bitrates have for the music you are making.

Forgive the comment, but "really picky and demanding about quality" (which you certainly should be) and "mp3" don't necessarily go hand in hand ;)

kind regards

8. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

At the risk of digressing a little from the subject at hand - I attended a discussion a few weeks back about the unfortunate loudness wars and overcooking mixes. One of the many points discussed was the very detrimental effects too high levels can have after conversion to mp3. I realise that this has to do more with the (over) use of limiters than with setting a maximum peak level, but perhaps worth mentioning as well. Some of the topics raised are mentioned here:

In particular, Thomas Lund from TC electronic demostrated some examples of how converting too hot mixes to mp3 can affect the stereo imaging in ways which can only be described as dramatic. Run an mp3 mix through an MS Matrix and solo the S channel. There were lots of dropped jaws in the audience, including mine.

kind regards

9. charlie

charlie Senior member

Thanks Mark, unfortunately the quality and editing of that video didn't convey what you expressed above, but I did get the sense that all the people who spoke want to see the tide change to better sounding mixes.
    I would love to watch the entire seminar!