1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 recording volume adjustment

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Edgold, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

I am recording to a separate track and have been trying to record at a lower volume to match (overall) 2 other files.

My understanding is that this is affected by the bottom right volume control of the arrange window (or the bottom right of the mixer) but is it?

I'm not sure I'm going about it the right way.

Ed Gold
  3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

The recording level is only affected by the volume fader in the input channelstrip where the audio signal comes in. For that you have to create the input channelstrip first.

But what is the reason for recording the same audio on two tracks? If you have recorded to one track, you can

• send to a bus/aux or
    • duplicate the recorded region or
    • record on another audio track via a bus and with the level you want
  4. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

Thanks Peter,

I used that description to distinguish it from the bounce option but there is only one recording track. Sorry, wasn't too clear.

I already have the bus set up but I still have a tenuous grasp of that system as it isn't working.

I'm sending a link to a partial screen shot of the mixer:

5. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

6. Peter Ostry

Ok, but which question do you actually have? I see a couple of sub-optimal settings/routings in your screenshot but I do not see a technical problem.
  7. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

Perhaps I'm not getting the impression that it is changing the recording level.

The recording track (chosen) in the screenshot is next to the aux but I'm not sure it is firmly connected to it. Are these the suboptimal settings you mean, Peter?
  8. Peter Ostry

If you want to record Bus 1 to Audio 1 and expect to control the recording level by the volume fader in Audio 1, then your impression is right. This does not work. Audio 1 is the target, but level control must be done at the source which is Bus 1. You need another Aux.

For example:
    New Aux set to input Bus 1 and output Bus 2
    Audio 1 set to input Bus 2
    Now you can control the recording level in the new Aux

Of course you could also create and use the bus channelstrip for Bus 1 and reduce the level there. But these old objects only exist for backwards compatibility. We should rather use Auxes only.

No, I meant other things. See them as hints:

1. Currently all instruments go to Bus 1. Usually they should rather get bussed to "submixes". For example woodwinds to Bus 1, brass to Bus 2, violins to Bus 3 and so on. The submixes should go to a "Sum" bus like your current Bus 1. You can do it without submixes but large arrangements are more difficult to handle without submixing. And you may need reverb settings, automation or something else which rather depend on instrument groups than on single instruments. No problem with submixes.

2. You have bussed your instruments, but you have 4 channelstrips going to Stereo Out: Track 23, Aux 1, Output and Master. They are all set to different levels. But if you change the volume in 3 or 4 of you "last" channelstrips, you never know the correct level. You should only have two channelstrips going to Stereo Out: output and master. Depending on your method of controlling the monitoring level, both or one of them should always remain on 0 dB.
  9. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

Oh, I see! There was a certain method to my madness: I'm using samples of the Vienna Symphonic Library which, in fact, have their own windows and reverbs so I'm not using Sound Designer any longer but I am familiar with it. So it is possible to send all to bus 1, I think.

But I've been at this all day and I'll have to study what you wrote about those other sections of the mixer but tomorrow I think.

Many thanks,

PS: To show I haven't "starved" the reverb, here are links to the current version of the files on YouTube (it's thought the narrator is too overpowering so we're revising it again for balance:

10. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

I did finally get the volume adjustment to work by following Peter's suggestions and have reduced the volume to a manageable level, finally.

Thanks, Peter!

Ed Gold