1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 region inviolacy?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by peterlemer, May 7, 2011.

1. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

Is there any way to protect a region from any cuts?

Having performed a 12 minute improv, I want to work it up to a performance piece.
    I want the original to be inviolate yet be ready to hand for reference.

Can I do this?

pete

3. Staircase2

Staircase2 Member

Not sure what you mean by 'inviolacy'. But (assuming I understand what youre asking) If Im doing that I would just drag and drop the original 12 minute recording onto one track and then duplicate it to another.

I would then use the original as a reference and use the duplicate for chopping up. (Audio editing is non destructive in Logic)

Does that help?

4. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

Thanks for your reply Stephe - I want to be able to select ALL, then cut, insert time, remove time, copy, do whatever it takes to restructure my song, without touching the original region.

pete

5. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

Peter, is your performance MIDI or audio? Either way, Stephe's strategy is good, but if it's an audio recording, you may want to perform a "Convert Regions to New Audio Files" from the Audio menu in the Arrange window. There are some audio processes that are destructive, like Time Machine functions.

6. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

Sonny - either MIDI OR Audio. Thinking about it, I guess the original audio file will remain in the bin where I can resurrect it at any time, although any MIDI file will be broken.

I was looking for a way to save an audio region on the Arrange page while all else is being cut up in 'Select ALL' cutting and pasting edits.

7. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

Ahh. I guess if it was me, I'd do what Stephe suggested, but add an extra step: after selecting-All, I would shift-click the original region so it wasn't part of the cut-and-paste.

8. Eli

Eli Senior member

Or maybe hide the track that has the original on it?

9. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

Eli - that's a great idea - will test

pete

10. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

sonny, that would certainly do it, but risky for me

pete