Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Region Times?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by mk3, Feb 3, 2010.

1. mk3

mk3 Senior member

Hello, all -

Is there a way to view/edit region start and end times relative to the start of the source audio file (as opposed to time placement within the project?). The sample editor seems to only give times relative to the placement of the region in the track. Similarly, dragging region edges in the track also gives times only relative to the project.

(Pardon me if this is obvious, but it's the first time I've needed to use such a function, and I can't find the info in the manual or online.)

Thank you....

Cheers,
    mk3

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

If you open the Sample Edit window from the Audio Bin rather than from the Arrange Window, the time will be displayed in absolute values (ie: in relation to the file itself and not it's position in the Arrange Window).

I think that is what you are looking for. You can then view in any timescale that you want and edit based on the absolute position within the audio file - independent of it's placement in the Arrange Window.

4. mk3

mk3 Senior member

Dear Eli,

Thank you! Very useful to know. It's a bit confusing since from the Sample editor window there is no clear indication which one is being edited. Of course, they are in fact the same region, but selected from two different places, which gives the two different time lines.

Is there any way to numerically enter the region start and end times in the sample editor? It doesn't seem possible to type in the values in the Info area. Editing graphically for such precise edits is tedious.

I am aiming here to match the edits of one track exactly to another (a dub of a track needs to be cut up and edited exactly the same as the vocal version).

Maybe there is a faster way....

5. jayfolland

jayfolland Member

Hello gentlemen

I was wondering Does the "time and pitch machine" in factory have anything to do with this, i've been testing it out lately and i was under the impression that it does exactly this?

6. Eli

Eli Senior member

No, I don't think there's any way to enter the values numerically. And I agree, doing this type of precise editing with the mouse is obtuse at best! That's why God , er I mean Gerhardt, invented zooming :D

Working at very high zoom levels gives you pretty accurate resolution. But yeah, it is tedious.

Jay - T/P machine is for altering the speed or pitch of the audio file. I think mk3 just wants to edit the length.

7. mk3

mk3 Senior member

Yes, I just want to edit length of the regions (start and end points). In Ableton Live, this editing is very easy: One can always see (and modify) the numerical start and end points of the selected region in the Info box at the bottom of the screen.

Also, the method setting times to display relative to the audio file is a bit strange. One has the region selected in the Arrange, and then goes to the Audio Bin, where that region will also be selected. However, to force Logic to show the region times relative to the source audio file (rather than relative to the project), one has to select another (any) different region in the Audio Bin, and then select the region of interest again.

If this is the only way to take care of this, then there really should be a clear switch and indicator in the Region parameters (and the Sample editor window) to allow one to easily select whether region times are relative to the project position or to the source audio file. Perhaps even a global or project-specific preference for this.

I'm hoping that there is a simpler way that I am missing....Else this goes on the wish list!

Cheers,
    mk3

8. Badger

Badger Member

How about going about it another way. If the dub of the track starts at the same place in relation to the start of the vocal part you could try closing the session, "trashing" the original audio (keep a copy somewhere logic can't find it) and then force logic to use the dub by manually searching via the dialogue boxes that come up when logic can't find the original file.

If your start point is different in the original audio part that will be the only edit you need to do.

9. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hey mk3

You could always easily edit the start and end positions in the Event List. You are restricted to either ticks or smpte time. But you can view the length either as absolute or relative by toggling the Event List's view option.

10. mk3

mk3 Senior member

Good idea. I have done it that way in the past. It would be nice to have all the edits (Vocal, Dub, Instrumental, etc) in one project file, but your approach can work. Here there might be multiple recalls, however, so switching between in this way can become tedious. Although I suppose it's possible to do this on a duplicate of the project?

mk3

11. Badger

Badger Member

Yeah. I guess the aim is to edit stuff once you know that's the audio that's gonna be used. Logic's got some good import options for transferring tracks between projects. Check them out.