Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 8 Removing Silence in-Between Words

Discussion in 'Logic 8' started by Nityananda_SCSMath, May 25, 2009.

1. Nityananda_SCSMath

Nityananda_SCSMath New Member

What is the best way to remove silence in between words/sentences in a voice-over? In this case by best I mean fast/easy and good sounding. And the background "silence" in the recording is medium-loud noise/hiss and occasional birds chirping/street noise. The recording has been cut up into good takes and all together is about 20min. Working in Logic Pro 8.02 and have Soundtrack, Soundbooth, Izotope RX, etc.
    Thanks for your help!

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Using the Strip Silence feature is a good starting point. It may require some experimentation with the parameters to find the optimal setting. You can also use a noise gate. Carefully setting the attack, release, and hold times will help minimize the effects of the background noise coming in and going out.

But truthfully, there's no silver bullet. No, one step solution. It'll likely be a combination of these two things, plus some judicious use of fade ins and fade outs, and possibly even some marquee selecting to delete bits here and there.

As far as breaths, I find you generally don't want to remove them completely; it sounds unnatural. You just want to reduce their level. One trick I do is I set up a track at about -6 db or so right underneath the main dialogue track. I then marquee select the breaths and drag them down to the quieter track. It usually works perfectly. Sometimes a quick fade in or out is required on the main track at the edit points; but not usually.

4. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

> One trick I do is I set up a track at about -6 db or so right underneath the main
    > dialogue track. I then marquee select the breaths and drag them down to the quieter
    > track.

lovely idea :)

peter