Logic Pro 9 Removing tinny piano sound

jazzrascal

is it possible to remove a tinny piano sound from a pre-recorded (supposedly studio quality sound) mp3 that I just pasted into Logic Express? If so, how do I do it? It doesn't have to sound perfect, I'd just like it to sound a little less tinny. As you can tell, I'm a newbie. :tongue:

is it possible to remove a tinny piano sound from a pre-recorded (supposedly studio quality sound) mp3 that I just pasted into Logic Express? If so, how do I do it? It doesn't have to sound perfect, I'd just like it to sound a little less tinny. As you can tell, I'm a newbie. :tongue:

It's hard to say as we have subjective ideas on what tinny means, but to warm up a piano I have found that a gentle boost at around 300hZ is useful. You could also try some hi cut filter.

Otherwise set an EQ with a very narrow Q but radically attenuated, e.g. about 24dB, and sweep that across the frequencies, there may be just one notch that is causing most of the tinnyness.

I don't know about Logic Express, but if you had Logic Pro, there's a great plugin MatchEQ, which you can use well for this kind of thing, you find a piano sound you like and set it as the target (just record a bit or drag the audio file over the target icon) and it will automatically make your tinny piano EQ'd to sound like the nice one. It's worth getting Logic pro just for that.

Upvote 0
Thanks Pete...I'm unfamiliar with where to find some of these things in Logic. :confused:
I'll take a look and if I get stuck I'll post again.

I can't help you exactly because I don't know Logic Express. I assume it doesn't have Match EQ, but I'm sure it must have Channel EQ, which will do the filtering and boosting/attenuation I mentioned. It may have a piano preset, which may or may not be a good starting place.

Upvote 0
Back