1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renaming tracks

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Jay Denson, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

If I name or rename a track in the arrange window it no longer copies to the mixer. I think this is new since the latest update. Anyone else?

Jay Denson
  3. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Yes. See my post below. I find track naming very confusing in X. Depending on the setting for additional names you may or may not see the mixer channel linked to the track name. Sometimes the track name appears to be the channel name and the additional name appears to be a track name. I can't see any "plan" behind the way it works or any systematic coordination of names between the track, inspector or mixer.

Can anyone explain it?
  4. EdgarRothermich

EdgarRothermich Senior member

In Logic9 you could give the Track a Track Name and the Channel Strip a Channel Strip Name.
    Since LPX, the Track now lists the Channel Strip Name of the assigned Channel Strip. This has the advantage that the name is consistent between Track and Channel Strip. Naming the Track updates the Channel Strip and vice versa.
    Move the mouse over the Track Name and the Tooltip should display "Channel Strip".

Many users, including me, don't like that new convention. Although there are a few exception (i.e. the imported Audio Track of a Movie File), there is one quick workaround that lets you enter a separate Track Name for the Track:

Make the Automation visible and click on the Subtrack Disclosure Triangle on the Track Header. Now double-click on the Track Name and you are actually writing a separate Track Name for that Track.
    Move the mouse over the Track Name and the Tooltip should now display "Track Name". The proof that this is now the Track Name and not the Channel Strip.
  5. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Thanks for the explanation.

What would you say is going on when you Alt Drag a track? The names for the new track are different, but it's not clear to me why those particular names are chosen.

What to make of this? Is a track a real object in Logic? Or is it just a graphic element useful for associating a region with a channel strip, and placing it on a time line? If the latter, maybe we'll see the workaround disappear in a future update.

The way names work now may be more consistent with the complicated architecture of Logic, but make it more dificult to use. My original question was how to best manage the names so they make some sense as you build up a project. I guess the answer is to turn additional names off, and just type in the name I want to use.
  6. EdgarRothermich

Opt+drag a Track is the same as cmd+D on a selected Track or the command "New Track With Duplicate Setting".

You will get a Track and that is assigned to a new Channel Strip. Both have the same Channel Strip Name.

A Track is a separate Object completely independent from a Channel Strip. You can assign (or re-assign) a Channel Strip to a Track.

The management of Tracks comes to to personal preference. Do you like both having the same name (the default now) or do you like them separate (you need the workarounds.
  7. Eli

Eli Senior member

Another way to "force" Logic into displaying Track names instead of Channel Strip names in the Main Window is to use the "New Track With Same Instrument" function. Hover your mouse over the names in the Track Header and it says Track Names. But then you can't display those names in the Mixer!

To add to the confusion, in the "configure channel strip components" window in the Mixer, there is a checkbox to display "Track name". But as far as I can tell, this doesn't seem to work under any conditions. It displays the Channel strip name.

AFAIK, I don't think there is a way any longer to view track names in the Mixer. Only Channel Strip names.

And in the Configure Track Header window in the Main Window, there is no mention of the term "track name" to be found anywhere in the Additional Name drop down menu.

So yeah, it's REALLY confusing and obtuse at the moment. My hunch is that they are doing away with the idea of a separate "Track Name", but there are still a couple of "unlocked back doors" where you can sneak in and still use them :)
  8. EdgarRothermich

I think so too (unfortunately)

The workaround with the duplicate Track with same setting was the only workaround to force a Track Name onto a Track. This is, however, cumbersome, because you have to create the Track (find the command) and then delete the Track.
    Now with the new "discovery" by just clicking on the disclosure triangle to switch to the "Create Track Name Mode", it is so much easier (until they lock that back door).
  9. Eli

Eli Senior member

Yes, that is a great work around. But it's really only of limited use, since that name can't be displayed anywhere but in the Track header :-(
  10. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

The difference between the environment mixer and the track mixer is a problem. In logic 10 the environment mixer no longer works as it once did ( i upgraded from7) but the track mixer doesn't do every thing the environment mixer once did. Very goofy.

11. EdgarRothermich

The concept of the Environment and the Mixer didn't change between the different Logic version. There are a few differences in the Environment and the Mixer itself, but the functionality is basically the same.

What problem or differences are you referring to?
  12. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

Well there are a few things i recall. Haven't used it in a couple. These may be key command issues. Use I use to able to control click and drag to move a plug in (think that was the sequence) also in the settings window there was a drop down arrow that if you clicked on it, it showed channel strip settings. Now you need option click to do that. Also, you can no longer create an audio or instrument from the new drop down menu. They are greyed out.

13. EdgarRothermich

I'm not sure which key commands you are referring to, but that would not be a big issue as long as the functionality remained the same.

You can move the order of Plugins on a Channel Strip in the Mixer, but I don't think this is (or was) possible in the Environment.

The Audio or Instrument Channel Strip options are only grayed out when you have the checkbox "Automatic management of channel Strips" enabled in the Project Settings ➤ Audio. This is the same functionality as in Logic 9.
  14. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

Yea. I think I said I upgraded from 7. I never had moved the plugin position in the channel strip anywhere but in the environment so it certainly was there. I'll change that preference so I can create audio track from the environment. Thanks.

15. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Moving Plugins in this manner was never possible in the audio environment layer, only in the track mixer, either in its own window or in the drawer introduced in Logic 8.

kind regards

16. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

Unfortunately Mark you're wrong.

17. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Mike, can you provide details? Maybe we're not talking about the same thing. Trust me, plugins can neither be moved nor copied from slot to slot in the environment, only in the track mixer. I have used every logic version since 2, this was never possible.

kind regards

18. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

hey Mark. I got around to showing how you could move plugins in the environment mixer. Appears this was introduced in 7.2. Possibly wasn't there afterwards. Heres a screen capture of me doing it on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABlKyUWsFGY&feature=youtu.be