Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Roland CM32-L and Logic Pro X

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by bartdemylle, Sep 12, 2015.

1. bartdemylle

bartdemylle New Member

I try to use my CM32-L sound module with Logic Pro X. Up to now I did the following:
    - I connected my midi keyboard with my USB cable to my iMac
    - in Audio/midi configuration I connected the midi in port of the module with midi out-port of my iO2 Alesis midi interface.
    - in Logic I created on track 1 an external midi instrument with
    1. midi destination as CM32-L, midi channel 2 (as the module does not transmit on channel 1),
    2. input channel 1-2 of my Alesis
    - in Logic I created on track 2 an external midi instrument with external instrument plug-in deselected and as output: off-all
    - In the Library I can choose my CM32-L module with its channels 2-10
    - In the inspector I can choose the sounds by checking Program and choosing the desired sound (from 0-127)

When playing a note on track 2 the volume meter shows input, the midi notes are recognized in the LCD display. With some delay the volume meter of track 1 shows input.

The problem is that I do not get nor the appropriate sounds nor the correct notes, only sparse low string sounds. What am I doing wrong here?
  3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Just a few questions to make sure I understand your situation.
    1. Can you record MIDI notes into Logic?
    2. Can you manually change the sounds on the CM32-L and have them playback as expected when playing your keyboard, or previously recorded MIDI in Logic is playing back?

3. Are the names of the sounds appearing in the inspector?
  4. bartdemylle

bartdemylle New Member

Hi CSeye
    1. I can record midi notes into Logic on my track 1 (see above
    2. The CM32L only has a power switch and a volume knob. Changing the sounds has to be done within Logic.
    3. The General Midi names do appear in the inspector.
  5. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

If you select programs in Logic's inspector, does it change the sound that playbacks from the CM-32 L?

My understanding is that the CM-32 L is close, but not exactly a GM module.
    You can can create a multi instrument in Logic's MIDI Environment>MIDI Instrument layer. You'll need to select your instrument in the Port pop up to the left. This multi instrument Environment object contains the GM instrument list which may or may not be the same as the internal sound set of your module.

Making this type of connection may at least cause program changes when you select programs in the Inspector.
  6. bartdemylle

bartdemylle New Member

In the early days of midi my CM32L worked seamlessly together with EZVision and Emagic (which later became Logic) the CM32L, that's why I supposed that it is a GM module.
  7. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Operating systems have changed dramatically since then. So has Logic.

Are you able to actually change programs at this point? Or just select programs in the Inspector without actually changing the sounds on the CM-32 ?.
  8. bartdemylle

bartdemylle New Member

I'm able to select programs in the Inspector, but the sound does not change.
  9. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Can you post screen shots of what you're describing in your initial question?

I'm not sure if you're using a software instrument track with External Instrument plug-in, or using an External MIDI track.
  10. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

As an example, I have a Yamaha TG500 hooked up to port B of a MOTU Fastlane.

Select your CM-32 L in the Output pop up rather an Off-All.
    Your instrument will appear in the Library (far left), and in the Track Inspector.
    Check on Program in the Inspector as well.

Next, double click on the External MIDI track icon. This will open up the list of patches.
    In the Options pop up (far right), click on Init General MIDI Names.
    You should now be able to make program changes by selecting sounds in the Inspector.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  11. bartdemylle

bartdemylle New Member

Thanks for the massive input everyone. It works fine now, following the same procedures as CSeye showed above. The first times I tried to use my CM32L I combined using the external instrument plug-in with routing external midi tracks which obviously didn't work. The only annoying thing now is that the patches do not seem to have the same patch number as in the patch list of the CM32L. I'll have to listen to them one by one to rename them.
  12. CSeye

CSeye Senior member