1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Round Robin patches in EXS24 mk2?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Per Boysen, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Per Boysen

Per Boysen Senior member

Hi,

I'm about to make a sampler instrument by recording a harp and need to set up round-robin patches so that when the same note is repeated a group of three alternative samples.

I just read the manual for EXS24 mk2 and can't find that this is supported. How do you guys solve this?

I can do the work in Kontakt in case EXS24 doesn't cut it, but that's my "plan B"

3. Colin Shapiro

Colin Shapiro Senior member

Hi Per,

Check out the latest Logic Pro X Instruments manual, on page 200:

Set up a round robin in EXS24 mkII
    The term round robin is used to describe sample switching when a single key is struck repeatedly. This feature can be particularly useful in live performance or for avoiding abrupt, machine-gun-like effects when switching between real instrument samples.
    In EXS24 mkII, you can use a group as the selection criteria for the Select Group By condition. When one group is played, other groups are silent.
    1 Click the Sampler Instruments pop-up menu and load an instrument.
    2 Click the Edit button to open the Instrument Editor window. Click the Zones button if Groups view is shown.
    3 Assign two zones to the same key (note C2, for example) and play the onscreen keyboard or play C2 on a connected MIDI keyboard.
    You can see and hear two samples (zones) being played. For clarity, these are zone 1 and zone 2.
    4 Now assign another zone to another note (C3, for example) on the onscreen keyboard.
    Play C3 on a connected MIDI keyboard and you will hear a different zone being triggered. This is zone 3.
    5 Drag vertically in the Lo column for zone 3 until C2 is shown.
    6 If you repeatedly strike C2, you will hear zones 1, 2, and 3 being played.
    Repeat steps 4 and 5 for other notes, if required.
    7 Click the Groups button to switch to Groups view.
    8 Choose Group: Group Select By from the View menu.
    9 Click the Type subcolumn on the row of zone 2, then choose Group from the pop-up menu.
    10 Click the Group subcolumn on the zone 2 row and choose zone 1.
    11 Repeat steps 9 and 10 on the zone 3 row, but choose zone 2 in the Group column.
    12 Repeatedly click note C2 on the onscreen keyboard or play C2 on a connected MIDI keyboard.
    You can hear zones 1, 2, and 3 switched one after the other.
    This example illustrates the use of groups as the selection or switching criteria. The selection of zone 1, zone 2, and zone 3 in the Group menu enables you specify the trigger group for another group. Because these trigger groups are unique in the Group column, you will sequentially step through groups.

4. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

5. Per Boysen

Per Boysen Senior member

Thanks a lot! I'll go with this Select by Group method. This is going to be fun...

6. Per Boysen

Per Boysen Senior member

I set it up here now and it works well as long as you do not hold a long note while repeating another short note. The long note held down blocks the Round-Robin functionality.