1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Running LPX, in sync, on 2 machines.

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by djthirsty, Sep 21, 2016.

1. djthirsty

djthirsty New Member

Hi All.
    I'm considering the purchase of a CPU hogging softsynth before I leap into a couple of months of heavy programming work for tightly scheduled TV series.
    I have well specked (word?) 2015 MBP with SSD for the boot drive plus sample libraries, NI Kontakt etc. on a separate SSD. I'm pretty happy with it's performance, but with this new synth is gonna struggle to run more than one instance.
    I also have a not to shabby mac mini with an i7 quad processor and SSD drive.

I'm toying with the idea of running a 2nd instance of LPX on the mini, slaved to the MBP, just to host the soft synth, when I need it.

I've had a bit of a look around for Youtube clips and articles of real world examples of people with this kind of set up hoping to save myself a bit of time avoiding pitfalls and unnecessary trial error, without much success.

Can anyone here steer me towards any relevant resources or share their experiences in the area please?
  3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Check out Vienna Ensemble Pro as a solution for slaving software instruments on a second machine. It's a very elegant solution, and seems like it would be perfect for you. You already have the second machine. A lot of film and tv composers use it as a means of keeping large palettes of sounds available as they are switching between multiple projects/cues.
  4. Uwe Rodi

Uwe Rodi Member

Sometimes I work with two MacBook Pro. One with LPX and the other with mainstage. I use an http://www.iconnectivity.com/products/audio/iConnectAUDIO4plus to combine the midi streams an make an aggregate audio device with my two interfaces (behringer x32 and iCA4+) to combine the audio streams. So Mainstage can be used for some audio instruments.