1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Saving New Mixes

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by ncurtis, Oct 18, 2013.

1. ncurtis

ncurtis Member

If I want to do multiple mixes of the same song, is there an easy way to do this, rather than having to save the whole song again, using up valuable space on my hard drive? On my old Yamaha AW4416, there were different 'scenes', all saved under the same song, which you could save different mixes under. Anything similar here? Thanks.

3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

Logic doesn't have a feature like scenes or mixer snapshots.

----------

The LUG user Tangra has made an environment patch that saves mixer snapshots. Have not tried it myself yet:
    http://www.audiogrocery.com/logic_sc.htm

----------

BUT:

When it comes to complete mixes with automation, a snapshot or scene would not help anyway because neither different automation data nor different software instruments (or loaded sounds) would get stored.

Project versions do not need much disk space if you do not create whole new folders with everything duplicated.

Here is an example.

I saved the original verision as usual, with automation. Then I did another version and used "Save as ..." to save in the same project folder, but deactivated the "Include Assets" checkbox.
    [​IMG]
    In this case you get a second project file in the same folder and nothing is duplicated. All project files in this folder use the same resources. Of course you must not "clean up" audio files by deleting them in one project file ...

Below is a screenshot of the two versions side by side. Completely different automation and even another instrument. Just the audio file and the MIDI of the instrument are the same. The latter isn't necessary but most times we want just a slightly different sound, not another musical piece.

[​IMG]

You can have different mixer settings, other automation, other levels, different reverb or compression, whatever. I think this is a good and easy way to store and keep different versions because they can differ in many aspects without using much space on the disk.

4. Eli

Eli Senior member

While I agree with Peter, and like doing the "save as" thing to generate unique project files for alternate versions, it should be mentioned that one of the new features in Logic X is project alternatives, which is designed for exactly what you are asking about.

Alternative versions are saved and recalled all from within one project file. I personally still prefer the old fashioned way that Peter describes; but hey, it's a new world - and there are new ways :D

5. ncurtis

ncurtis Member

Thanks Peter & Eli. Most helpful.

6. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

Thanks Peter!
    As Peter pointed my Logic Snapshot Console behaves as your old Yamaha.
    The new Logic X Alternatives can not be recalled via midi message so you can not compare "instantly" your mixer snapshots which is the main idea of the mixer snap shooting. In Logic SC you can have some existing track based automation and some snapshot automation in the same time - it's a matter of organization.
    The real time mixer snap shot changing or referencing to a given audio mix (track) is an essential part of making proper sound design decision!

7. Atlas

Atlas Senior member

Speaking of Logic SC, does it work in Logic X?