1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 score editor problem

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by john thompson, Dec 11, 2012.

1. john thompson

john thompson New Member

I am having trouble with the score editor. I have written two regions on separate tracks with a logic guitar plug in. One is the main motif, the other a harmony. I have set the style to guitar tablature for both tracks in the score style editor. I happened, also, to write the lyrics in harmony track. When I view the main motif track in piano roll it is shown accurately. However, in the score editor, the tab incorrectly shows as the one I wrote in the harmony track (with the lyrics included). Incidentally, the reason I put the lyrics into the harmony score, is as an assist for when I learn to play the harmony part on a real guitar.

I tried to see if the problem is unique to the tablature mode, but I cannot easily view the G-clef mode now, because my size settings for tablature carry over to the G-clef view mode, and it is not readable.

Why can I not see the correct tab in the main motif track, and how might I fix this? I'd really appreciate help on this; the score editor is very hard to master for me.

3. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

To make sure, did you actually use the staff style? It's a pop up menu in the inspector above Quantize, just says Style on it. If both tracks share staff style, any alterations to the staff style will affect both tracks.

The Score Editor normally displays the selected region in the arrange area, perhaps you have selected the wrong region for it to display?

As your file should be very small, if you want to post it here or send it to me I can take a look at it. Probably way easier for me to figure it out in a minute or two by just looking at what you did rather than guessing.

4. john thompson

john thompson New Member

Thanks Doug. Yes, I used the staff style, but via the layout button in the score editor, which seems to bring up the same box as the staff style in the inspector.

How do I post the file or send it to you? It is small. I assume the song project's .logic file would be the only one needed to be sent.

5. john thompson

john thompson New Member

Doug,

Oh, and yes I have the right region and track selected. I click on the region for the main motif, get the piano roll, which is correct, then change to the score editor which shows the score for the other track/region, although the proper region in the arrange area remains highlighted.

John

6. Doug Zangar

John,

Sent you an e-mail - let me now if you don't get it. You can e-mail anyone on the LUG by clicking on their name and selecting e-mail from the menu. (Assuming they have set up their preferences to allow for such.)

7. Doug Zangar

John,

Got your file. I will send it back to you. Part of your display problem is you have deselected the link icon in the upper left corner of the score editor. It should be gold. A long left click will produce a drop down menu, select content link.

I also saw that you had the main motif assigned to the bass clef, and the harmony to the treble clef staff style. So the settings are independent of each other. You have the staff size set to a much higher number in the harmony part, thus the larger size.

The score editor will show layers as well. You can double click in the white area of the score editor and it will show you all MIDI regions (top layer). Double clicking inside a staff will show only that part (avoid clicking on a note).

Change your link icon on the score editor in the arrange window. For kicks, hit 2 on your keyboard and go to screenset 2, which is now just a score editor (content link is active). You can return to screenset 1 by pressing the number 1.

8. john thompson

john thompson New Member

Doug,

Thanks a bunch. Your 3rd paragraph above was the key. I got the correct melody in tablature when I double-clicked the white area and then within the approrpriate staff. However, this led to the notes being represented as too low vs. what I hear and play on real guitar; so I raised the whole main motif an octave in the piano roll editor, and it gave me the tab I expected. Trouble is, the sound of the synth guitar in the main motif appears to be an octave above what it should be. Not a bad work around so far, but it sounds pretty crappy. Either I have a bigger ear problem than I thought, or there is some setting that puts the guitar part in the wrong octave. I got your email, but I do not know how to download the returned file. (I saved a copy of the uncompressed file, so this is not a problem.)

Best wishes

John

9. Doug Zangar

John,

Not sure what the problem is to get the file out of your e-mail. What e-mail program do you use? Apple mail lets you click and drag attachment to desktop.

Regarding the octave displacement, you can fix that in the staff style (transpose function) - then it is display only and not an audio displacement as well.

Warning: Self-Promotion..

If you really want to get into this, I have a video series at groove3.com that is on the score editor that is quite in-depth, including a lot of guitar stuff. (I'm a guitar player.)

10. john thompson

john thompson New Member

Got the file out ok. Little box at bottom left did it. Yup, I transposed up 7 and got what I needed. You had mentioned bass being selected in the staff style as being a problem. It was, and I learned I could not fix it via the staff style selection from the staff editor, rather it had to be done from the inspector.

If I get more into score editing I shall buy your tutorial. So far, it is a bit of an experiment to help me learn construction of harmony lines, following the "rules". I am also a guitar player - mostly rockabilly, blues, folk.

Thanks again, Doug

11. Doug Zangar

Welcome John, glad it worked out for you!