1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Score Editor Staff Styles

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Kolijn, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Kolijn

Kolijn New Member

Hey guys

I'm have probably quite a simplistic with some midi I imported into logic. It is two individual track which show up as two individual staves in the score editor. BUT - if I change something about one, it automatically changes the other. For example, if I just the clef of the first one to alto clef, it changes the second one to alto clef too.

Is there a really simple way to get them to do stuff separately?

3. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Read the manual about staff styles for all the details. However, simply put, you need to assign a unique staff style to each track to edit them independent of each other. Staff style assignments are found in the score editor's inspector.

4. Kolijn

Kolijn New Member

Thanks Doug. I'll check it out.

5. EdgarRothermich

EdgarRothermich Senior member

Here are a few rules in Logic regarding the staff styles:

* In the Arrange WIndow Inspector, the Instrument Parameter has an item called Styles. Whatever style you select her, that is the Staff Styles that gets assigned to every (newly created!) Region on that Track. Setting it to Auto lets Logic choose the best suited Staff Style
    * Staff Style function like styles in a word processor. Changing the settings of a specific style will update all the Regions that have that Staff Style assigned to it.
    * On the pro side: That saves you a lot of work
    * On the con side: Regions might get updated that you don't to be changed. In that case you have to assign a different Staff Style to it.​

It is a actually pretty simple and very powerful once you understand the concept.

6. Peter Schwartz

Peter Schwartz New Member

My first post here, and a "hello" to my friends Doug and Edgar!

To amplify a little bit on what they've already told you... Let's say you're writing a piece for violin and flute. With Logic's arrange page Styles parameter set to "auto", and assuming that the parts you played in conformed to the natural range of these instruments, Logic would more than likely choose the Treble staff style for both parts. Really, what Logic is doing is assigning the default Treble staff style to the flute and violin's regions. This directly implies that staff styles are a property of each region.

Since both parts share the same staff style, making changes to the appearance of the violin part by altering some property of the Treble style itself (such as the amount of space above or below the staff) will then affect the appearance of the flute part in the same way. The solution to achieving independent control over the appearance of each part is to create a duplicate of the Treble style, and then assign it to the flute part.

HTH,

PS

7. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hey Peter,

Welcome, nice to see you here! I heard you speak on a panel at NAMM this past winter - it was very informative.

8. Peter Schwartz

Hello Eli and thanks for the welcome. Nice to make your acquaintance. Re the panel, thanks for attending! :)

Regards,

Peter

9. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

How'd you slip by security??!! ;)

Good to see you here, and welcome!

10. Peter Schwartz

LOL! Thanks Doug.

11. EastWest Lurker

EastWest Lurker Senior member

Welcome Peter.