Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 8 Score - notation

Discussion in 'Logic 8' started by jmahoney, Mar 17, 2009.

1. jmahoney

jmahoney New Member

I'm relatively new to Logic but it doesn't seem that entering music or editing is very intuitive. I know that there is a lot of ground to cover here, but is there a good resource for getting started? I have used Finale fairly extensively but I don't like the Garritan sounds compared with the Logic sound library. At this point I am entering data into Finale, saving as a midi file and importing into Logic. Not a very elegant approach.

I look forward to learning a lot about Logic from the Users Group. I look forward to when I might know enough to make a contribution,

Thanks, John

3. grooveiron

grooveiron Member

Forget about notation in Logic if you know Finale.
    I recommend sending your Finale MIDI through virtual ports straight into Logic. You need to be somewhat conversant with the Environment, and I don't have time to go through that with you now, but once it's set up it works very well.

4. jmahoney

jmahoney New Member

virtual porting to Logic

John,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely look into it.

Best,

John

5. David51

David51 Senior member

6. jmahoney

jmahoney New Member

LNG

Thanks David,

I think your advice is good, I'll stick with Finale for creating scores. However, I do like playing live into Logic and still being able to see the music on the SCORE. I'm making some modest progress.

Thanks again, John

7. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

Although some of it is dated terminology, etc. this is till the Bible.
    http://prischl.net/LNG/index.html

Alternatively, hire a guy like me to teach you.

8. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

I would suggest you persevere with Logic Score. It actually is very powerful, but for people who have already used Finale, then it may seem less than intuitive purely because it does need a different structure to integrate with the digital audio and MIDI sequencing.

I am involved with film and TV scoring, and have found that the very few minor niggles with Logic score are far outweighed by the advantages of keeping all your work in one application especially if and when last minute changes occur just before or even during a session.

I would follow the advice to get that book. Plus I'm hoping to add a few score tutorials here as soon as I get some time.

9. 00420

00420 New Member

That would be sweet!

I'll look into that book too.

I've been learning how to use the score editor by trial and error (and reading the manual) for an orchestration class I'm currently taking. Although, I suppose I'm doing well with it since my scores look better than most of the other people in the class who are using Sibelius and Finale. Plus, I don't have to switch programs to do the mock-up, just have to add a little CC data and I'm done :D

10. Blair Fisher

Blair Fisher New Member

I would have to agree that having everything in one place is very handy. Logic's score will do most things that most people want, and if you are constantly tweaking things it is great not having to keep going back and forth, as Pete says. It does have a few things that are definitely not intuitive, but you get used to them eventually and it does work.

Just to point out the negative here though - it doesn't really get updated or supported by Apple much. If I was doing scoring as my main reason for using a program I would definitely be thinking about using something else.

Blair

11. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

BTW, if you use keyswitching for changing articulations in software instruments, you might like to look at this macro I developed, the Combo Remapper.

It transforms text and score symbols in Logic's score so that you can use them for keyswitches.