Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Score problem

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Jay Denson, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

I have a little problem with score editor. It occurs in bar 4 only. On any part (or full score) the first note splits into tied components. If the first note is, say, a quarter note it appears as 2 x 16ths tied to an 8th note. It's no problem musically speaking but it looks stupid. Does anyone have a similar problem or know of a fix?

Many TIA, Jay
  3. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

Syncopation enabled? Can you upload a screen shot showing the score and the score inspector....
  4. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Hi Volovicg

Would you believe it - the problem has gone away!!! After weeks of trying to solve it!! If it comes back I'll let you know.

Thanks again.

5. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Hi Volvicg

Here's the problem back again. Here's a screenshot. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks, Jay

Attached Files:

6. Billious

Billious Member

Jay, you don't happen to have a hidden semiquaver on the 1st beat of bar 4, do you? (That's exactly what would cause what's happening.)
  7. Billious

Billious Member

(Or on the 2nd semiquaver of the bar.)
  8. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

In he inspector check the syncopation box and see if the result is want you intended.

If not you likely have 32nd note at the beginning of the measure that should be deleted or elongated depending on what the expected result should be.
  9. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

I'm with Billious - I'd suspect a user rest causing the problem. The event list shows user rests, check there.

At the risk of given unsolicited advice (and only applicable if this part is for someone to read and perform).... the Ab in measure 6 would be easier to read as a G#. And, I don't understand why there are natural signs in front of the B notes, like they are courtesy accidentals, not needed (although the F natural at bar 4 could have one.)
  10. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Hi Volvicg and Billious and Doug

Second things first, Doug: the accidental on the B's was because (for no good reason) the key signature became F maj on the 6th and 7th bars, then reverted to C maj. Don't know how that happened. The Ab (as opposed to G#) is more in keeping with the harmony at that point.

As to the original problem: there aren't any hidden rests and the event list shows exactly what it is supposed to. And other projects (not all) have shown the same problem - again, only in the same location.

It's a mystery - but thanks everyone for your help and participation.

11. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

I believe you have one long note (which starts on an upbeat) and extra notes at the beginning on the downbeat that is not being displayed. Can you email your project to or at least the affected measure.
  12. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

You have a key change at that bar location that doesn't occur on the bar but rather a bit later. Go into the event list editor, signature tab and either delete the key change at bar 4 where the issue is (if not needed) or set it to (4,1,1,1) if you really intended for a key change. This should address your issue.
  13. Doug Zangar

That key signature issue is weird - so volovicg, you're saying that there is still a key signature in his project that is hidden?

BTW, this all reeks of a corrupt project that I wouldn't hesitate to import into a fresh one.
  14. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

I will verify this later today, but when you insert a key signature by default it is located at bar start (1st beat, 1st division, 1st tic). If you change that location by modifying it in the event list - the key signature disappears but the key signature entity is still there and will affect the rhythmic display interpretation ( as if a hidden note was placed at that location). I have to test which unit will make it re-appear as I think it can go on the beat too ( not sure about the division) - but for sure if the tic is not 1- it will not be visually be displayed. So I don't think it's a corruption as I was able to duplicate this scenario from scratch.
    That is why at first glance syncopation should have worked - but it didn't because it was taking into account the time signature event as part of its calculation
  15. Doug Zangar

Interesting - testing without any notes in an empty MIDI region, the time signature shows up as long as there are no ticks of the 16th note involved in the position ( will show a time signature, through 240 will not). Much of what I've learned about Logic comes from correcting my own mistakes - I guess I've never made this one (yet).
  16. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Hi Guys

I have a busy couple of days so I won't be able to check out these things till the weekend. I mention this so you won't think I have ignored your very kind involvement.

Kind regards, Jay
  17. airforceguitar

airforceguitar New Member

Could it be a "hidden" note underneath the long note (in the piano-roll editor). The event list would let you track it down if that was the cause.
  18. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Hi Everyone

There is nothing in the Event List to suggest any extra notes. I'm afraid it must remain a mystery. Thank you to everyone who lent their time and patience. As always I am grateful for the help I have received from the forum.

Kind regards, Jay
  19. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

It is not a mystery. Please read my responses to the thread above. You have A time signature embedded in the wrong location. That is the source of the problem.
  20. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

jay - please see below. I show what is going on and how to correct.....

measure 4 issue.GIF
  21. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Hi Greg

Gotcha!! I was looking in the Event List not the Signature List. Problem solved.

Thanks a million.

Regards, Jay