Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Score/transpose conundrum

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by peterlemer, Jun 21, 2016.

1. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

I've been busily scoring a Mingus tune for 7-piece and having to transpose it for vocals. No problem. I just use the transpose function in the left panel.

But when I tried to shift regions around horizontally I got into allsorts of problems with transpositions.

I checked the Global transpose track and found to my dismay, that is was full of transpositions.

No sooner did I delete them ,then all my previous work got screwed.

1. Is there a way to 'fix' the current transposition set so that I can clear the transposition track?

2. How on earth could I have unconsciously made changes in the transposition track? It's not a feature I use at all. Is there perhaps a tricky keystroke or some other function that would play ths game with me?

pete Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 21.46.21.png
    volovicg likes this.
  3. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

I have no idea how you did that if you didn't know you weren't doing that. There is no way to flatten the transposition track without affecting the pitch of the underlying midi. It would be good to hear what your exact workflow was so we could determine what happend. Holy step functions!!! - region parameters can be made permanemt but why the global transposition track moves, I have no idea.
  4. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Peter - I think you have your work cut out for you to restore this.

So - you were transposing the pitch of the regions using the transpose function in the region parameters box in the Inspector?

Does this parameter show a transpose - or is it at zero with the function apparently having been applied to the global Transpose track?

The transposition don't match any regions, although you have hidden tracks that might show that. Any loops involved?

What a mess, sorry to see that.... And, thinking out loud, maybe it's a bug in 10.2.0 - per what your sig says you're using.
  5. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

AFAICR, I first loaded in an MP3 of the mingus track.

I sat down at the keyboard with the singer and we recorded piano/vocal duet as a first trial without reference to Mingus.
    This was untouched for a few months, then I went back and started to listen to subtleties in the mingus track.

I used Pitch shift to bring it down to the singer's preferred pitch.

I then corrected mistakes in my original ( based on a faulty FakeBook interpretation, added a wlking bass for the ifrst section, organised tempo changes, the got stuck in to chords and other notation details.

The only thing I can think that might have caused this was that I could have copied onto a previous project that already had these change.

But I can;t recall any project where I used the transpose track.

My only other thought is that there's a keystroke which converts track pitch changes to global pitch changes.

But even then, I had no reason to change track pitch every bar or so.

It might look as though I did some looping - perhaps the gloable ptich shift looped as well?

But even then, This isn;t a project with any looping other than perhaps drums - but why wopuld I want to change the pitch of drums every so ofetn?

<scratches head>

I'll have to look at every project I open now, to see whether this is endemic :-(

6. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

no, I click 'n' when I want to fix a parameter change

7. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

To my knowledge (and I search in Logic's key commands a bit) there is no key command you could have accidentally triggered.

I thought copying loops might copy transpose parameter, but that doesn't appear to be the case in with what I just tried.

Not quite clear by what/where you click 'n' to initiate a parameter change - you in the score editor or tracks area?