1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Score: why do PDF printouts have an extra margin?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Pete Thomas, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

Does anyone know why an extra margin is added when you print to PDF?

I have tried a page setup with a custom page size with print margins=0, it makes no difference.
  3. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

I've never noticed this. Can you show a screen shot of the original and PDF margin?
  4. Pete Thomas

I did some testing .

I used a page setup that is A4 with print margins = 0

Then printed to PDF

Attached are:

screenshot before printing.jpg
    screenshot after printing.jpg

(note that the print margins on the print view have suddenly got wider after printing to PDF)

Also attached is

Df printout (PDF print.pdf)
    camera tool to PDF (Camera tool.pdf)

The printed PDF has the extra margins, the camera tool pdf is much closer to the page on the screen

Attached Files:

5. Doug Zangar

Thanks for the images - I just tested this and I get the same thing. I never paid attention to this - and I almost always print from PDFs (seems a lot faster).

As I can attest it happens here as well, it is not limited to your configuration but is in fact an international problem found on two continents and two paper sizes, A4 and US 8.5 x 11.......

I guess you want to know why, I have no idea - remember, this is an audio forum, not graphics ;)
  6. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

7. Doug Zangar

Actually, this occurs in Preview before printing. I assumed it would translate to the printing as well.
  8. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Opening the Camera tool.pdf in Preview, gives me a 23% scale in the print dialog.

Unchecking Scale to Fit allows the percentage to be increased to fill the page as desired. 25% fills the page closer to the border.
  9. Pete Thomas

It seems that using the camera tool creates a very large PDF, but sort of obeys the margins. If Set the margins in Logic to 0, and use the camera tool, it adds a mm or so the the left, and removes a mm or so from the right.

This is close to what I want, presumably the margin issue is a Logic bug which may be fixed one day.

The issue comes when printing a PDF. The initial dialogue says "Any printer" but as soon as you click "OK" you must choose a print driver which is set up on your computer. This is the problem because whichever I choose (EpsonWP-4535 or Epson PX730), and whether or not I click scale to fit, it adds a margin.

It seems pointless that when printing to PDF you must choose a physical printer driver.

My reason for printing a marginless PDf is that I am pasting examples into a book, which is set up in pages which also has text. The easiest process seems to be to define a margin in pages, the text fits those obviously, but then I paste a PDF, I want it to be marginless itself so it conforms to the margins in pages.

There are workarounds, but if you want the PDFs to move with text, you can't size bigger than the margins allow. I think.

So currently I seem to have to use the camera tool with a 0 margin at top, left and bottom and a 1mm margin at right.

But this is not great as the camera tool is restricted to one page at a time.
  10. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Does my Camera Tool attachment show the left and right margin discrepancy that you describe when margins are set to "0" in Logic?

The next attachment takes a different approach to getting the Camera Tool PDF into Pages: just drag it from the desk top into the Pages document. It's smaller than the Pages margins. No need to Print to PDF or whatever. Save the Camera Tool screen grab PDF to the desk top, then drag it into the Pages document.

The final attachment shows the effect of using Shift + Option to resize (scale) an object. I also switched from "Inline" to "Background objects are selectable" which allows you to position the PDF where you want, but you lose having the PDF move with text.

This is the best I can come up with based on your stated purpose.

My apologies if I'm off base here.

Attached Files:

11. Pete Thomas

No, yours looks fine. So I don't know what's up here, thanks for testing it.

I have tried the different ways of getting camera tool PDF into pages, they all seem to work the same for me.

I do need to always have them move with text so a tight way to print PDF with 0 margin would be useful