Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scrolling region bounds in audio file editor

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by madelefant, May 9, 2015.

1. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

Ok. Here's another "it ought to work like this" but it don't gotcha. I have made a region that is mean to loop. I want it to stay in the position it is in time and in relation to other regions. I open the audio editor and use the hand to to move the region window (keeps it the same exact length) then I use the menu option "selection to region". No matter what I do, even though the region is still the same length, it has moved in position in the arrange window.

Huh?

Mike

3. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

If I understand what you're doing, it works correctly here, but I can't follow your process. There are two audio windows: Track and File. I can only move the region window in the Track tab, I have no hand tool (do you mean pointer, and what is your version of Logic??). I can then go to the File tab, make a selection and use the selection to region command and it works perfectly, in place.

4. EdgarRothermich

EdgarRothermich Senior member

I think what you try to do works only partially.

The key is the little Anchor Symbol in the Anchor Strip of the Audio File Editor. Right-click on it to bring up its Shortcut Menu that contains only one command: "Lock Position in Track when movie Anchor". It is selected by default. Unselect it. Now, when the Anchor is aligned to the left border of the Region Selection (not the waveform selection), you can drag the left border of the Region Bar (the one below the waveform indicating the left and right border of the Audio Region), then the left border of the Audio Region in the Workspace stays at the same Position and the waveform underneath moves accordingly.
    However, when you try to move the waveform selection with he Hand Tool, the Anchor doesn't move with it.

This whole Anchor feature with its two states (Locked and not Locked) is a bit tricky to wrap your head around because you have to understand what is actually locked, the Region against the Timeline or the waveform against the Timeline.

In your case, you can only drag the left border with the Region Bar and not move the entire Region (but that means oyou change the length of the Region/Selection. Instead, if you make the waveform selection and choose (Selection ➤ Region) then the Anchor will unfortunately be ignored and the Region will move its position on the Timeline of the Waveform.

5. Doug Zangar

Edgar - looks like you figured out what he meant. I didn't think he was trying to use the anchor. I'm a bit too literal sometimes.

6. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

Thanks for your your replies. If you open the audio file editor (menu command, takes you to older version of file editor) in that window, the tool palette includes a hand tool. In neither of the file editor windows (track included) does it show the anchor which has been puzzling me. Maybe it is a preference issue. But yes , the idea was to move slightly the left and right region borders, leaving the length the same and the track / arrange position the same.

Mike

7. EdgarRothermich

The Audio File Editor (as many other windows) can be opened as a Standalone Window and as a Window Pane inside Logic's Main Window. The commands under the Window Menu (cmd+6) open the Audio File Editor in the Standalone Window (hence the term "Window"). The visibility of the Window Pane can be toggled with the command Show/Hide Editor (Key Command E) under the View Menu . However this toggles the visibility of the Editor Pane in general and displays the Audio File Editor only if it was open before when you hide it.

The Anchor is not visible in the Audio Track Editor, only in the Audio File Editor, in addition to the Project Audio Browser/window and directly on the Audio Region in the Workspace (as a tiny little dot).
    It would be strange if you don't see the Anchor on your system It has its own strip above the Region and Loop strip.

[​IMG]

8. Doug Zangar

Quick thought: In preferences, do you have all your advanced preferences enabled?

9. EdgarRothermich

The only checkbox in the Advanced Preferences that affects the Audio FIle Editor is the Audio checkbox. If unchecked, it won't let you access the Audio File Editor at all. I don't think there is a setting that only disables the Anchor display.

I would be curious about a screenshot to see why the Anchor is not visible.

10. Doug Zangar

Thanks Edgar - don't have memorized what all the advanced prefs cover - just know it's solved some problems before to verify they were all on.

11. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

Having done some research, there appears to be a bug having to do with the anchor showing properly. Some older Logic X files of mine consistently show the anchor where as ones created in the last few weeks don't.

Mike

12. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

Well a further update...What I find, is that in any file I have recently created, regions that are in use, show no anchor. Regions that aren't, do. I assume this is an issue with one of the updates. 10.1.1 is what I have.

Mike

13. Doug Zangar

I have 10.1.1 and am not experiencing any problems like that.

Anyone else?

Maybe time to look at rebuilding Logic's preferences?

14. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

10.1.1 here as well.
    No such issue.

Does this happen in all Logic projects? Or in one or a few in particular?

Agree it may be time to rebuild Logic's preferences.

15. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

i'll try the rebuild thing. I thought at one point it was projects that I had alternative versions created.

Mike