1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Sending a track to the same bus multiple times and dif. pans

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by hidden80, Sep 29, 2012.

1. hidden80

hidden80 New Member

I have a guitar track that I want to send to a bus. This bus has my guitar effects.

What I want is to send this guitar track two times to the bus, but with different pannings. The first send needs to be in the left channel, and the second in the right channel (let's say 85% left, 85% right).

I don't want to record the guitar twice, or duplicate the guitar track. Just use Logic's tools to open the guitar track in the stereo.

I'm used to this technique in Reaper, where it's fairly easy to do, but I cannot find a way to do the same thing in Logic.

Is this possible? If not, what's the common way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance!
  3. forgetr

forgetr Member

Looky here:

Gtr 1 is your original guitar track. Gtr 2 is a copy. This is achieved using a pre-fader send to an aux (Gtr 2). FX is your effects aux. Make sure you set the input of Gtr 2 to mono (click the little circle above the channel strip name). Then you send each guitar track to your FX bus. Then you can pan each to your liking.

EDIT: I forgot to specify. You must make your FX sends from Gtr 1 and 2 POST-PAN.
  4. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

Logic has no way to pan aux sends, so you would have to do a workaround like the one shown.

Is there any way you can take a screen shot of the way reaper does it, and can you explain a little clearer with an example of the results you want "I want to have my delays to have different EQ's, one go into a different reverb for better definition, etc". It might help me to understand what it is you want to do... since with Logic Pro one can often do the same thing or achieve the same results 2 or 3 ways.
  5. hidden80

hidden80 New Member

Thanks forgetr, but isn't the "gtr 1" track output assigned to master and at the same time sending the signal to the bus? If so, the raw guitar sound will be heard together with the wet.
  6. hidden80

hidden80 New Member

George, I'm attaching the screenshot from Reaper.

As you can see, the track is being sent to the "track 2" bus twice. The first send is panned to the left, and the second to the right.

Also, the output to master is disabled.

Attached Files:

7. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

To my opinion there is a way which is called "Post Pan" - just a friendly note George :rolleyes:

You can use the Logic Direction Mixer plugin inserted at the bottom of your FX sum Aux (see the pic below). In this scenario your GT orig track can be Mono or Stereo (it does not matter), cause you will control the FX Aux signal chain output panning width. Note, the Original GT track "Output slot" is routed to Bus 1 directly in this example.

8. hidden80

hidden80 New Member

Tangra, then that "post-pan" does really exist?

Your solution using the Direction Mixer seems interesting, but why do I need that aux bus? Would not be the same to set all those effects into the guitar track itself?
  9. bruno garza

bruno garza Member

Here's another way, duplicate your BUS # on the AUX Channels.
  10. forgetr

forgetr Member

Well, yes, but if you don't want to hear your dry signal, just set your output for those channel strips to none. Your sends will still work because of Logic's signal flow.
  11. bruno garza

bruno garza Member

12. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

Yes it exist. Click & hold any send knob and you will find a flip menu showing Post, Pre, Post Pan settings. Note, the Post-Pan can be used for L/R panning of the sends but not for controlling the sends stereo pan width - this is the business of the Dir Mixer plugin!
    Yes it will be the same and I could offer that, but in your original post you say that you want to send the GT track to a bus "I have a guitar track that I want to send to a bus".
    Anyway the Dir Mixer is what you need...