Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Separate automation in stacks?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by edurbrow, Feb 6, 2016.

1. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

I put my drum tracks in a stack because there are some places I want to automate all of them together, but it seems I can no longer automate just one or two tracks. For example, if I lower the volume with automation on the kick all the other tracks are affected. Is there a way around this or must I take them out of the stack?
  3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

To kick start this discussion, it would be helpful to know what types of tracks you're using.
    Multitimbral software instrument (SI) with all of your drum sounds vs. individual SI per kick, snare, etc. Were you able to automate individual tracks before they were in the summing stack?

Each track in a summing stack has its own automation lane, in additon to automation on the main track.

More information is needed.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  4. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

I'm using drum tracks that I recorded from a real kit. They were just separate tracks before. I just did an experiment. In the Undo History, I selected undo back to before I created the stack, zoomed in on the bass drum and used the marque to select a part and yank the volume down, however, all the other drum tracks were affected similarly. I was expecting that I could automate them separately. It would be so great if you could turn on and view and operate automation on a track by track basis. So you see the problem: sometimes I want to mute all the tracks or control the overall volume of the drums and at the same time I want to automate the tracks individually, take out the kick for a verse. for example.
    Thank you,
  5. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Are those tracks grouped together? See attachment.

If so, it would explain the behavior you're describing.
    You can ungroup them, or unheck Mute or Automation to make track-specific adjustments while otherwise keeping them grouped. My sense is that being in a summing stack, you can ungroup them.

You can automate individual tracks within a summing stack, a LPX feature both powerful and flexible.

Attached Files: