Logic Pro (X) Setting Recording Levels

mikerofone

Logician
What meter should I be looking at to set the record level of a track? The meter on the channel strip and track inspector is the monitoring level, yes? Isn't that different than the record level? As you can tell my knowledge level is not great....

When I adjust the output volume level for a source on my Apogee Duet, the increase or decrease of the signal can be seen with the green bar for the track in the main work area, but it does not show what db the record level is.

How do I make sure the record level is set at an appropriate db level?

Make sure that you've enabled Pre Fader Metering on the control bar.

Make it active when setting record levels when adjusting volume or output level at the source (external synthesizer, guitar preamp, etc). Logic's faders do not control recording level, only monitoring level.

Pre Fader Metering needs to be on when setting recording levels.
It needs to be off when mixing.

Attachments

• PreFader.png
    PreFader.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 801
Upvote 0
There are also some global preferences you should consider. Go to the Logic menu > Preferences > Audio > Devices. Halfway down you should see an option called "Independent monitoring level for record-enabled channel strips." If this is checked then you can have a different track level when you press the record button for that track, as opposed to a different volume for when the track is not record enabled.

Upvote 0
....you can have a different track level when you press the record button for that track, as opposed to a different volume for when the track is not record enabled.

"Independent monitoring level..." relates to monitoring level which is different than recording level.

None the less, still a good a point.
Cheers.

Upvote 0
Back